PDA

View Full Version : nWo: The Greatest Stable Of All Time?

Pritch
04-21-2007, 07:54 PM
D-Generation X vs The New World Order

Raw Magazine - May 2002
No two factions in sports entertainment history have ever generated the level of buzz caused bt The New World Order (nWo) and D-Generation X (DX). In many ways at their genesis, the two groups ran parallel to each other. While the nWo was running roughshod over WCW in the late 19902, Dx was doing much the same in the WWF. Many fans compared the two, noting the obvious similarities. In all fairness to the boys in black and white, most believed the D-Generates borrowed quite a bit from their Atlanta counterparts. However, it can also be argued that DX took the concept pioneered by the nWo to new heights.

Any way you slice it, a confrontation between the two "cliques" would certainly be a modern sports-entertainment fan's dream come true. For our purposes, we will imagine a six-man tag-team match featuring the three central members of both sides: Hollywood Hulk Hogan, and The OUtsiders (Kevin Nash and Scott Hall) for the nWo, and Triple H and the New Age Outlaws (Road Dogg and Billy Gunn) for DX.

So would the nWo be forced to "suck it", or would DX learn the meaning of "2 sweet"? Let's try and figure it out...

D-Generation X

***Strengths***

In their heyday, the DX guys were the irreverent clown princes of the Worls Wrestling Federation. They were a key part of the era of "Attitude," which began approximately five years ago. From 1997 to 2000, they epitomized the new style of the WWF, doing what they wanted, when they wanted. Few opponents were immune to the ways in which they were able to get under people's skin. The infamous Nation parody is a classic example of that.

***Weaknesses***

While the nWo was bent on the total domination of WCW, DX had simpler goals. All they wanted to do was have a little fun, plain and simple - and to hell with anyone who got in their way. The killer instinct of Hogan, Hall and Nash was not as sharply developed in DX, perhaps because of their youth. Furthermore, no matter how big DX got, they were always over-shadowed by the Austin-McMahon rivalry, while the nWo ruled WCW with an iron fist for years.

***Key Wins***

Triple H won his first three WWF World titles while the leader of DX. He also beat the Rock for the Intecontinental Championship at SummerSlam 98, and twice won the European title during the same year. The New Age Outlaws became one of the greatest Tag Team Champions in Federation history, winning the title a then-record five times by beating the likes of the Legion of Doom and the Rock 'N' Sock Connection. Individually, Both Road Dogg and Billy Gunn won the Hardcore title, and Road Dogg was also IC champ.

***Key Losses***

DX was simply not as effective teamed up as they were individually. The two best examples of this occurred in crucial matches early in the faction's existance. At the first No Way Out in 1998, the three men hooked up with Savio Vega (a replacement for Shawn Michaels) and went down to a crushing defeat at the hands of the mega-team composed of Stone Cold Steve Austin, Cactus Jack, Tery Funk and the late Owen Hart. Three months later, with the DX vs Nation battle raging, Triple H and the New Age Outlaws suffered another major loss to the trio of Hart, D'Lo Brown and Kama (The Godfather).

***Finishing Moves***

Triple H's Pedigree is one of the most lethal manuevers ever seen. A modified DDT of sorts, it begins in a piledriver position with an opponent's arms locked in an amatuer butterfly hold. Triple H then lifts his opponent off the ground before dropping to the mat on his knees, thus driving the head of his hapless foe into the oblivion.
Billy Gunn's finisher is the Fame-ass-er, a move originally known as the Rocker Dropper when it was popularized by Marty Jannetty. It also involves an opponent's head being driven into the mat with all of Gunn's weight behind it. Road Dogg, however, never quite developed a finisher as effective as his cohorts. He mostly used a series of punches known as "Shake, Rattle & Roll" or the rather silly "Crazy Legs" knee drop.

***Strategy***

The boys in green and black definitely have speed on their side. The Outlaws were both smaller than any of the three nWo members, and not even the massive Triple H approaches the size of the mammoth Kevin Nash. They would need speed to avoid the punishing power of Hollywood., Big Sexy and Hall. It would be the best interests of DX if the match focused on athleticism rather than the slow power-contests which Hogan and Nash, in particular, are known for.

The New World Order

***Strengths***

In a word: ruthlessness. The nWo took shape in WCW in 1996, and over the course of more than three years, they did exactly what they said they were going to do: they took over. In fact, in the end they did more than take over, they utterly decimated the company.
Raw power is possessed by these three men in virtually limitless supply - even in the case of Scott Hall, whose size and strength is often overlooked.

***Weaknesses***

Dissension within the ranks has often been a problem for the nWo, to an even greater degree than it was for DX. The violent nWo schism that took place in 1998, leading to the Hollywood and Wolfpack factions, was extremely detrimental to the group, and they were never quite the same in WCW, even after reuniting at the beginning of 1999. When you're dealing with three men with egos to match their physical size, problems are inevitable. It led to their destruction once before, and it could happen again.

***Key Wins***

Hogan won four of his six WCW World titles as a member of the nWo. One of these reigns lasted for a full year. In fact, Hogan spent almost two of the nWo's three years of domination as WCW Champion. Kevin Nash also won the WCW World title as an nWo member, destroying the undefeated record of the once-dominat Goldberg at Starrcade '98. As a team, The Outsiders were four-time WCW Tag Team Champions, upending duos like The Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat and Bret Hart and Goldberg. Hall also held th title with fellow nWo member The Giant (Big Show) and was victorious in the 60-man World War 3 battle royal in 1997.
As a team, the trio (along with Sting) defeated Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Sting and Lex Luger in War Games at Fall Brawl '96, and together with Randy Savage, they won a Triple-Threat tag match against The Giant, Lex Luger & The Steiners and Roddy Piper, Chris Benoit, Jeff Jarrett & Steve McMichaels at Uncensored '97.

***Key Losses***

As a team, the nWo never suffered any major defeats. In the end, their greatest enemies in WCW turned out to be themslelves. On his own, Hollywood Hulk Hogan suffered several key losses.
He submitted for the first time in his career in 1997, losing the title to Lex Luger, and lost in memorable fashion to Goldberg in the summer of 1998. Between 1997 and 1999, Sting became the only person other than Andre the Giant to defeat Hogan three times, beating him at Starrcade '97, Superbrawl VIII and Fall Brawl '99.

***Finishing Moves***

Countless are the foes who've fallen to Hogan's vaulted leg drop. In fact, to this day, the amount of grapplers who have kicked out of it can be counted on one hand. Kevin nash's jackknife remains the most effective powerbomb in the sport, sending opponents plummeting seven feet to their doom. And Scott Hall was the innovator of the move known alternately as the Razor's/Outsider's Edge. A modified powerbomb, the move has the same result but begins with Hall hoisting his adversary above his head with his arms outstretched.

***Strategy***
Hogan, Hall and Nash would need to wait for the DXers to come to them. Trying to chase down their quicker opponents would be a waste of time, especially since stamina is not one of there guys' strong suits. Hogan in particular is known for his ability to absorb tremendous amounts of punishment, and so could conceivably kick out of any DX finisher - even a Pedigree. This kind of demoralization would be key to their victory. By not letting DX's cocky demeanor phase them, the nWo wuold deal a crippling psychological blow and take the wind out of the D-Generates' sails.

Final Analysis
After pndering the issue endlessly, RAW Magazine has come to the conclusion that the edge rests soundly with the nWo. Both teams were dominant in their own way, but the nWo was clearly the more dominant of the two. Furthermore, while both sides have a staggering amount of championship accomplishments on their resumes, those of the nWo are just a little more impressive. It could be that DX had to deal with stiffer competition than thier WCW counterparts, but regardless of the reasons, the results are clear. During the late 1990s, the nWo proved conclusively that they would be more than a match for the green and black bad boys.

I got this out of a Raw Magzine I bought in 2002. NWO had nearly ever superstar in the WCW on there side and they dominated everyone in there path. DX was big, but in my opinion, not as big as the NWO.

JoshTheKiller
04-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Well My favorite faction were The Four Horsemen and Evolution. Evolution was stacked and I think could have taken down the NWO

bigdadda04
05-07-2007, 05:07 AM
none of the two could match up against the original four horsemen

W-OLF
05-08-2007, 12:20 AM
4 Horsemen were the epity of what a stable should be and how it should be ran .

Leader
Enforcer
and a tag team of Excellence that can hold their own in singles.

legolas4792
05-08-2007, 01:45 AM
mathematically the nwo was the biggest stable i think it was the most dominating but it can be argued that other stables were better talent or entertainment wise i personally liked the nwo for awhile

Black Widow
05-08-2007, 02:39 PM
i love DX, but honestly no stable can touch the nWo

bad_meetz_evil
05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
NWO owns all factions. The nWo had a big effect on WCW, it's ratings, and almost all the wrestlers were either in the nWo or fighting the nWo. lol. It had a great impact on WCW for years.

yankeesman77
05-08-2007, 04:54 PM
4 Horsemen were the epity of what a stable should be and how it should be ran .

Leader
Enforcer
and a tag team of Excellence that can hold their own in singles.

Couldn't of said it any better because in order to be a Great Heel Stable, you need to be Paid; Laid; and Maid. The Four Horsemen with Blanchard, Flair and the Andersons were perfection at its best back in the Mid 80's. When Barry Windham came in for the struggling Ole it was a nice touch and Evolution was and nice touch and fitting tribute to the closest thing I ever saw in perfection. The Four Horsemen was the greatest stable I ever saw and was certaintly better than the lame acts of Degeneration X and the NwO.

BigAl147
05-21-2007, 03:27 PM
There's been some great stables through the years, th Four Horseman, the Dangerous Alliance (although short lived they were entertaining), The Hart Foundation, DX and Evolution. To me though the NWO were the best, at least in the beginning before they seemed to include half of WCW's roster. They drew more money, mainevented more PPV's and were responsible for WCW reaching higher ratings for 83 straight weeks. No other faction can match this claim

Big Evil
05-23-2007, 04:57 PM
nWo was definitely the best as the ORIGINAL faction. Once they started grabbing people up, reforming, and splitting, I think it went down the drain. McMahon didn't help things by bringing in a watered down nWo in the WWE, either. DX would be my pick for the stable that would rival the nWo, simply because of the fact they were so diverse and had so many huge, or funny, or historical moments. I would include the Four Horsemen, but to be honest I didn't get to see much of that group, although I'm sure they would be high on my list if I had. So, I choose nWo ORIGINAL as the best stable of all time.

Slayer_X
05-29-2007, 06:24 AM
NWO nuff said

paulscholes
07-14-2007, 05:10 AM
nwo the best by a mile