PDA

View Full Version : UFC 70 "Nations Collide" Live PPV results

Will
02-24-2007, 02:15 AM
The following is the current line-up for the April 21st UFC 70 show scheduled to take place in Manchester, England:

Prelim Fights
-Edilberto Crocota vs. Paul Taylor
-Dennis Silver vs. Jess Liaudin
-Alessio Sakara vs. Victor Valimaki
-Junior Assuncao vs. David Lee
-Terry Etim vs. Matt Grice

Live PPV Fights

-Assuerio Silva vs. Cheick Kongo
-Andrei Arlovski vs. Fabricio Werdum
-Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic
-"Lyoto" Ryoto Machida vs. David Heath
-Mirko CroCop vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Will
03-10-2007, 12:38 AM
The following is an excerpt from an interview with UFC president Dana White, conducted by the CBS Sportsline website:

Q: What's the latest with HBO, and will UFC 70 be televised on HBO or PPV?

DW: I don't have the deal done yet, but UFC 70 will be on free television. It's going to be a free TV deal for the fans here in the U.S.

Q: Is it going to be on Spike?

DW: Let's see, yup. I'm the one that's always chirping about how all these guys that destroyed boxing. Everything was f------ you've got to pay for this, you've got to pay for that. I don't like to make the fans pay for every fight we have. I like to have a lot of good fights for free, and this is a great fight that we'd be giving to the fans for free.

Q: Is UFC 70 definitely going to be on Spike, or might it be on a different network?

DW: It's probably going to be on Spike.

UFC 70 is a very poor lineup with the only big name fighter, that I remember offhand, booked on it being Cro Cop so it will probably be best for the UFC to give it away for free and get a huge rating rather than put it on PPV and get a poor buyrate.

LionDen
03-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Some more on this interview that is interesting:

UFC's Interest in Lesnar: "Very interested in Brock Lesnar. Brock Lesnar is out there, I believe right now he had signed a deal with K-1, and he's out there training hard from what I hear, and he's taking this serious. And that's what you need to do. Brock Lesnar seems like a serious guy to me."

White went on to say there have been no contract talks between the two.

Kurt Angle in UFC: "I like Kurt. I've talked to Kurt a bunch of times. I'm just not sure how committed he is to fighting. I made him an offer before, and he went over and did TNA wrestling. I don't know. If the guy is seriously interested in fighting, then he should be fighting with the UFC."

What It Would Take for UFC to Sign Angle: "The guy, seriously, is a legend in Olympic wrestling, and is a legend in professional wrestling. I'm not going to bring anybody in here for some type of freak show to get hurt. If the guy wants to be serious and wants to come over and train -- and I can hook him up with all the right people to train with, the right training places, and everything else. If he wants to be serious, I'm interested, but I'm not going to bring him over here to get hurt."

Angle Competing in MMA and pro wrestling simultaneously: "I'd prefer he did one or the other. I mean, how the hell are you going to professional wrestle and professional fight? It doesn't work that way. It takes a lot of time and training to dedicate to fighting."

Angle saying he'd need six month of training: "At his age and having never had a pro fight, that would be a very good idea. This thing isn't a joke. You don't just decide "I'm a professional wrestler I think I'm going to fight." It takes a lot of time, dedication and hard work -- just like wrestling does. I'm sure these guys have to train hard and have to get in great shape to professional wrestle. You can't just jump up one day and say, "I'm going to be a pro fighter and I think I'll fight next month." It doesn't work that way. It doesn't even come close to working that way.

White discusses a number of other topics in regards to MMA including the announcement that UFC 70, scheduled to be held in Great Britain, will be broadcast for free on SpikeTV. You can read the entire interview at http://www.sportsline.com/boxing/story/10050453.

seancarleton77
03-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Fucking right I will be watching that shit on Spike

Butoden
03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Looks to be good for Spike and good for UFC, although the card sucks just like you predicted Will, nice. ^^

SharkGraphics
03-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Mirko Cro Cop Vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Andrei Arlovski Vs. Fabricio Werdum
Michael Bisping Vs. Elvis Sinosic
Forrest Griffin Vs. Lyoto Machida

Bad card you say? Only bad fight I see so far is the Arlovski fight seeing as how Werdum will be in his first UFC fight, but the rest look good to me. Still very early right now so more fights could still be added to the card.

Will
03-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Bad card you say? Only bad fight I see so far is the Arlovski fight seeing as how Werdum will be in his first UFC fight, but the rest look good to me. Still very early right now so more fights could still be added to the card.

No, we weren't talking about poor as in bad. We were talking about poor as in a lack of star power. Look at the card, with the exception of Cro Cop,on the right you have a high mid card fighter at best and on the left you have guys that 99.99997% of fans have never heard of.

SharkGraphics
03-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Ok, I'll go through them for you on how I see these fighters:

True, Cro Cop probably is the best fighter on this card, but Gonzaga is pretty well known. It's being reported on whoever wins this heavyweight fight would be the #1 contender to face Couture for the belt.

Another top heavyweight in Arlovski in this fight. But like I said before, this match gets pulled down due to the fact that Werdum will be in his first UFC fight and really is a unknown fighter.

Don't know Bisping or Sinosic? Time to learn your UFC then bud. Bisping will easily be the crowd favorite here seeing as how the fight is from England and Bisping is from Liverpool, England. Ultimate Fighter 3 winner will take on one of the old cagey UFC veterans in the King of Rock N Rumble. Sinosic at one time used to be good, but seeing as how he has lost his last 5 UFC fights, this match might end up being a disappointment to some.

Forrest Griffin is probably the best known Ultimate Fighter winner from all seasons. Will be coming off a tough loss to Keith Jardine and gets to take on a fairly newcomer to the UFC in Machida. But if you know anything about MMA then you would know Machida holds MMA sanctioned wins over BJ Penn, Rich Franklin, Stephan Bonnar, and Vernon White. Machida is not a push over by any means and could surprise a few here in this fight.

So maybe this card truly doesn't have the "star power" people are looking for, but I think this might be to see if Cro Cop can hold his own in the spotlight and fight a good main event match. Plus they are drawing some fan interest off Bisping as well since it is a home fight for him and this being the first non-USA event for the UFC.

Will
03-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Ok, I'll go through them for you on how I see these fighters:

True, Cro Cop probably is the best fighter on this card, but Gonzaga is pretty well known. It's being reported on whoever wins this heavyweight fight would be the #1 contender to face Couture for the belt.

Gonzago only has 3 fights in the UFC and none of them were televised. He is a jobber that is being fed to Cro cop, before cro cop goes against Couture.

Another top heavyweight in Arlovski in this fight. But like I said before, this match gets pulled down due to the fact that Werdum will be in his first UFC fight and really is a unknown fighter.

Arlovski is over rated. He is 10-5 and has never beat a really talented fighter. Its not hard to be a "top" heavyweight in the UFC.

Don't know Bisping or Sinosic? Time to learn your UFC then bud. Bisping will easily be the crowd favorite here seeing as how the fight is from England and Bisping is from Liverpool, England. Ultimate Fighter 3 winner will take on one of the old cagey UFC veterans in the King of Rock N Rumble. Sinosic at one time used to be good, but seeing as how he has lost his last 5 UFC fights, this match might end up being a disappointment to some.

I know who they are, but alot of the average fans wont. Who cares about a guy thats only claim to fame is fighting in England in fights no one has ever seen in promotions that no one cares about and being on a reality show that drew like a 1.0 rating every week going against another guy that is basically a human sacrifice at this point.

Forrest Griffin is probably the best known Ultimate Fighter winner from all seasons. Will be coming off a tough loss to Keith Jardine and gets to take on a fairly newcomer to the UFC in Machida. But if you know anything about MMA then you would know Machida holds MMA sanctioned wins over BJ Penn, Rich Franklin, Stephan Bonnar, and Vernon White. Machida is not a push over by any means and could surprise a few here in this fight.

he is the best known, but he isnt great. He may be in a few years, but right now he is just above average and people wont buy a ppv just to see him yet. Machida might have some wins against a couple good fighter, but he doesn't stand out in any way at all. Over half his wins have come from decisions. People don't want to see decisions, they want to see people get knocked out.

So maybe this card truly doesn't have the "star power" people are looking for, but I think this might be to see if Cro Cop can hold his own in the spotlight and fight a good main event match. Plus they are drawing some fan interest off Bisping as well since it is a home fight for him and this being the first non-USA event for the UFC.

No, this isnt anywhere near being the first non USA UFC event. Its number 8. UFC 8 in Puerto Rico,UFC 17.5 Ultimate Brazil, Ultimate Japan 1, Ultimate Japan 2 , Ultimate Japan 3, UFC 29 in Japan, UFC 38 in England.

SharkGraphics
03-15-2007, 05:29 AM
sorry, meant to mean that its the first non-USA event since MMA has picked up in the United States and is in the mainstream.

jond81
03-15-2007, 07:11 AM
well even though there really isn't a lot of star power on this card, we'll all be watching 'cause it's a big MMA event

and we all want to see CroCop punt Gonzaga's head to the upper deck :)

SharkGraphics
03-16-2007, 07:41 AM
I was thinking about the Cro Cop/Gonzaga fight today and this crossed my mind: How would MMA and UFC react if Gonzaga were to somehow upset Cro Cop in their bout? With everyone basically adding another win to Cro Cop's resume (and why wouldn't you) and Gonzaga being the huge underdog, would this type of an upset turn the whole MMA community upside down?

Will
03-16-2007, 01:23 PM
It would be a huge loss for the UFC. Even they know that their heavyweight division was crap, so they went out and signed a couple of heavyweights from Pride, with the biggest, in terms of star power and money, being Cro cop. The plan is for him to fight couture next, but if he lost to Gonzaga than that dream match loses its luster and the UFC loses millions.

Flashkick101
03-20-2007, 01:45 PM
they still have time to add to the card, it's still like another month away. Plus since it's in England they want a bunch of European guys fighting so they can get a big showing at the M.E.N. So a lot of the fighters aren't going to be as well known.

legolas4792
03-21-2007, 01:21 AM
damn there is alot of ufcs

LG
04-17-2007, 07:24 PM
-Mirko CroCop vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
-Andrei Arlovski vs. Fabricio Werdum
-Forrest Griffin vs. "Lyoto" Ryoto Machida
-Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic
-Tito Ortiz vs. TBA---I saw on UFC.com that Tito might go against Rashad Evans.

Will
04-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Ortiz is pushed back to 71 or 72. I'm going to update the card now that it is on my mind. It will be changed in a few minutes.

Will
04-21-2007, 03:50 PM
The following are results from the official UFC 70 "Nations Collide" weigh-ins held earlier today in England. The show airs tomorrow during the day live in the UK and will air on tape-delay in the U.S. on Spike TV at 9:00PM ET/PT.

-Mirko CroCop (225 lbs.) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (243 lbs.)
-"Lyoto" Ryoto Machida (199 lbs.) vs. David Heath (205 lbs.)
-Michael Bisping (204 lbs.) vs. Elvis Sinosic (205 lbs.)
-Andrei Arlovski (238 lbs.) vs. Fabricio Werdum (233 lbs.)
-Assueiro Silva (241 lbs.) vs. Cheick Kongo (229 lbs.)
-Matt Grice (155 lbs.) vs. Terry Etim (154 lbs.)
-Junior Assuncao (155 lbs.) vs. David Lee (155 lbs.)
-Alessio Sakara (204 lbs.) vs. Victor Valimaki (203 lbs.)
-Dennis Siver (167 lbs.) vs. Jess Liaudin (168 lbs.)
-Edilberto Crocota (169 lbs.) vs. Paul Taylor (169 lbs.)

Will
04-22-2007, 01:07 AM
UFC 70 "Nations Collide"
From MEN Arena in Manchester, England
April 21, 2007

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND – Randy Couture started the wave. Matt Serra carried it through UFC 69. And now Gabriel Gonzaga picks up where they left off by crushing the #2 heavyweight in the world, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, stunning him with a devastating high kick to win by knockout at UFC 70 in the United Kingdom on Saturday night.

Stepping into the Octagon, Gabriel Gonzaga seemed very confident in his skills and looked ready to compete with Cro Cop from the opening of the round. Just about everybody counted Gonzaga out of this bout before it even started, but he quickly changed some opinions when he caught a body kick from Mirko early on and put the Croatian on the mat. The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt opened up a barrage of elbows from inside of Cro Cop’s guard putting a couple of cuts on his head.

With less than a minute to go in the first round, referee Herb Dean stood the fight up and surely everyone in attendance and watching at home was just waiting for Cro Cop to uncork some of his legendary stand-up attack. The exact opposite is what happened seconds later as Gonzaga unleashed a huge right high kick that floored the Croatian, buckling his leg underneath him, leaving him laying motionless on the Octagon mat. The knockout secured yet another huge upset (something we’ve all become used to as of late) putting Gabriel Gonzaga in line for a UFC heavyweight title shot against Randy Couture and putting Cro Cop back to the drawing board to wonder just what happened.

The under card for UFC 70 was largely uneventful with the exception of the fight between the UK’s own Michael “The Count” Bisping and “The King of Rock and Rumble” Elvis Sinosic. Bisping came out to a huge ovation from the hometown crowd, getting so excited before the fight began that he almost forgot to stop to let the cage-side referee check him out before the bout began. Sinosic looked calm and composed and while his record isn’t great, he always comes in ready to give a good fight. Bisping came flying out of the gate, but didn’t immediately dominate the stand-up so the fight ended up on the ground.

Bisping then unleashed some of the most devastating ground and pound this side of Fedor Emelianenko and cut after cut opened on Sinosic’s head. It seemed like the fight might be stopped from strikes on the ground, but time ran out with Sinosic bloodied and beaten on the mat. The second round started with another standing exchange, but it was the Australian who landed a big knee that put Bisping down and sent the British crowd to their feet, gasping for breath.

Sinosic, still reeling from the first round, did manage to take Bisping’s back and almost lock in a rear naked choke, but the Brit reversed position and took over once again. This time he landed punch after punch and a very winded Elvis Sinosic could do nothing but cover up and wait for the referee to stop the bout. Michael Bisping remains undefeated and climbs further up the UFC light heavyweight division.

Andrei Arlovski picked up another win, working his way back towards UFC heavyweight title contention, when he got a unanimous decision over highly regarded Pride fighter, Fabricio Werdum. The first round saw Arlovski land a few good punches and leg kicks that seemed to confuse Werdum. It looked early on that Arlovski would finish the fight with strikes as Werdum came nowhere close to landing a takedown and the Belarusian hit shot after shot on the feet.

Unfortunately the first round was the only truly eventful round in the entire fight. The second and third rounds mostly consisted of Werdum circling Arlovski and the former UFC heavyweight champion not engaging, surely avoiding the potential ground fight with his opponent. After three rounds, Arlovski picked up a win, but not without the crowd in the United Kingdom booing him for his lackluster efforts.

Cheick Kongo got back to his winning ways after a disappointing loss some months ago to Carmelo Marrero by defeating Brazilian fighter Assuerio Silva. Kongo dominated the stand-up, landing some huge combinations, many of which would probably have put down a number of heavyweights, but Silva persevered showing great determination to survive.

The majority of Silva’s offense consisted of taking Kongo down at will, but doing absolutely nothing once the fight hit the ground. Joe Rogan made comments throughout the bout that he was largely ineffective on the ground while Kongo was just a decent training camp away from being a legitimate threat in the heavyweight division, if he could pick up a ground game.

Three rounds later, the judges scored a majority decision in favor of Cheick Kongo, putting another victory on his UFC record, while Assueiro Silva moves to 0-3 in the Octagon and possibly out of the organization for a while to search for a will to win.

Terry Etim remained undefeated by choking out American fighter Matt Grice in the first round of their bout. To Grice’s credit, his ground and pound was absolutely devastating and during parts of the round it looked like he could stop the fight at any moment as he dropped bombs. Etim eventually got the fight back to the feet where he eventually locked on a guillotine chock that seemed to finish Grice, but the former Oklahoma wrestler escaped only to get caught in the same move just seconds later, this time truly leaving him unconscious in the Octagon. Etim picks up a win and will surely be seen in the UFC again.

Overall, UFC 70 was somewhat of a disappointment with a very boring fight with two top ten heavyweights in Arlovski and Werdum going to a decision, while Cheick Kongo and Assuerio Silva did much of the same outside of the Frenchman’s fantastic stand-up. The biggest shock of the evening of course was the ending when Gabriel Gonzaga stunned the world by knocking out the heavily favored Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic in the first round. Gabriel Gonzaga definitely earned Fighter of the Night while he also earned a UFC heavyweight title shot. Fight of the Night goes to Michael Bisping and Elvis Sinosic for both going out and giving everything to win. Sinosic should be commended for his performance even in losing while Bisping relished fighting in front of his hometown crowd.

UFC 70: Nations Collide
Manchester, England

Paul Taylor def. Edilberto Crocota by TKO (due to strikes) at 0:37, Round 3
Jess Liaudin def. Dennis Siver by Armbar at 1:21, Round 1
Alessio Sakara def. Victor Valimaki by TKO (due to strike) at 1:44, Round 1
Junior Assuncao def. David Lee by Rear Naked Choke at 1:55, Round 2
Terry Etim def. Matt Grice by Guillotine Choke at 4:38, Round 1
Cheick Kongo def. Assuerio Silva by Majority Decision, 3 Rounds
Lyoto Machida def. David Heath by Unanimous Decision, 3 Rounds
Michael Bisping def. Elvis Sinosic by TKO (due to strikes) 1:20, Round 2
Andrei Arlovski def. Fabricio Werdum by Unanimous Decision, 3 Rounds
Gabriel Gonzaga def. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic by KO (head kick) at 4:51, Round 1

JoshTheKiller
04-22-2007, 05:42 AM
Gonzaga defeated Mirko Cro Cop bye a K.O. tonight in Manchester, England at UFC 70, as a result he will be going on to face "The Natural" for his title.

Any thoughts on this guys?

jond81
04-22-2007, 06:57 AM
all i gotta say is that was one sick head kick. and the way CroCop fell, especially the way his leg was twisted underneath him, was unbelievable.

could be a very entertaining fight with couture and gonzaga, considering all the upsets this year

Will
04-22-2007, 07:03 AM
I wasn't too surprised that Cro cop lost. In all honesty I haven't been very impressed with him in the cage. I was surprised that he got ktfo by a sick looking head kick though. Overall I think it is a huge loss for the UFC. Cro Cop,with a pair of dominating ufc wins, against Couture would have been a big money fight that wont happen now.

JoshTheKiller
04-22-2007, 07:13 AM
yea I wonder if he's ok he was out cold im worried it would be a great loss for UFC if he was injured

Will
04-22-2007, 07:16 AM
I thought, at the minimum, he had snapped his ankle when he landed on it, but he walked out of the cage on his own so I don't believe there is anything serious wrong with him. Who do you think is up next for him?

JoshTheKiller
04-22-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure I don't see him fighting for a while.

Will
04-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Your probably right because he certainly didnt seem very confident in himself after he got knocked out, but on the other hand the UFC is paying him a ton of money and he still hasn't caught on with the fans like they were expecting so he needs to get back in the cage rather quickly and totally destroy some jobber. There are rumors that his next fight will be against Arlovsky and the winner fighting the champ, but I don't think that will happen because they both need convincing wins to put them back in the title scene, after Cro cops loss last night and AA having a string of very boring decisions.

JoshTheKiller
04-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Yea if AA fights Cro Cop., the winner IMO will be AA. Mirko was not very impressive last night. I was dissapointed in his performance.

Will
04-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I dont think AA can beat Cro Cop at this point in his career. Not because I have been impressed by Mirko, I haven't, but because AA has turned into a very boring and cautious fighter since Sylvia knocked him out. He seems to be afraid of going inside against his opponents, out of fear that he will get knocked out again, and you cant just stand around and hope for a decision against a striker/kicker like Cro cop. Eventually he will knock you out if you give him enough time.

JoshTheKiller
04-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Yeah I think after a few more matches AA will come out of that shell and be himself agaun.

Will
04-23-2007, 03:06 AM
I hope he does or else he is going to find himself fighting in the dark matches. The UFC wont keep putting him on the PPV's if the crowds keep booing his fights every time he is in the cage.

Vinnyspapa
04-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I honestly thought Cro Cop was going to win or at least put up a better fight. When he fell and his leg twisted under him that was sick looking. I wanted to see Cro Cop vs. Couture. Oh well

and yes the Arlovsky fight was boring as usual

JoshTheKiller
04-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Arvlosky :no: I miss his old fight when he looked un beatable. He was feared by most :no:

LG
04-23-2007, 10:36 PM
I was really shocked when Gonzaga did crocops own sick head kick on crocop himself. I think that was CroCops final match, b/c I wanted Crocop to defeat Gonzaga then Contoure then face off in the rematch of Crocop vs Fedor

Flair Country
04-24-2007, 03:27 AM
I don't know that I would say that was Cro Cop's last match. This might force him to finally train in a cage now though. He hasn't really looked comfortable in UFC since he got there because of it.

Will
04-24-2007, 03:34 AM
I don't think it was Crocops last fight either. The UFC is paying him a ton of money per fight and he is now making more than he has ever made in his career, so it would be silly for him to ask out of his contract just because he got knocked out. He has been knocked out before this fight and he will probably be knocked out again before his career is over.