PDA

View Full Version : Rooney ready for battle

bad_meetz_evil
04-25-2006, 08:44 PM
http://images.skysports.com/images/playerpics05_06/Premiership/ManUtd/rooney_backflick.jpg

England star Wayne Rooney is expecting a rough ride from opposition defenders at this summer's World Cup finals.

The 20-year-old announced himself on the world stage with a number of mature displays at the European Championship and he has increased his stock in the last couple of years with Manchester United.

Rooney can no longer be described as a surprise package and he is expecting defenders to attempt to ruffle his feathers.

"People will probably know more about me at the World Cup than they did at the European Championships two years ago," he declared.

"I am sure at times they will try to intimidate me. But I just have to deal with it, play my own game and try not to think about the opposition too much."

Rooney has been guilty of letting his temper get the better of him on occasions, he was sent off for sarcastically applauding a referee earlier in the season, but he feels he has matured and does not expect to let his team-mates down again.

"Early on in my career I received a lot of bad press about my temperament," he added. "But I was only a young lad then.

"I am still young now but I have been playing professionally for four years and I am learning from every game I play. The more you learn, the better you become."