PDA

View Full Version : Scotty to finally reach the stars

OMEN
04-28-2007, 01:15 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42756000/jpg/_42756947_doohan_ap203b.jpg
Doohan suffered from Alzheimer's disease
The ashes of Star Trek actor James Doohan are due to be launched into space from a site in New Mexico.

Doohan, who played the no-nonsense chief engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, died aged 85 in 2005.

His final journey has been repeatedly delayed but organisers Space Services Inc are confident all will now go according to plan.

Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's remains were fired into space in 1997, six years after his death.

Notorious misquote

"While 'Scotty' lived this, Jimmy lived for this," Doohan's widow Wende said in a press release.

"I will be there to see the launch, knowing that Jimmy is participating in an industry which he loved so very much."

Doohan, a respected Irish Canadian character actor, said he adopted a Scottish accent for his Star Trek role because it was commanding.

Originally conceived as a minor character, Scotty became a core member of the Enterprise crew, often to be found protesting at Captain Kirk's ambitious plans.

The line "Beam me up, Scotty" has become one of the most notorious misquotes in popular culture.

Although Doohan became synonymous with the line, it was never actually said in the series.

The closest Captain Kirk came to saying it was in the fourth Star Trek movie, when he said "Scotty, beam me up".

Launching a single gram of ashes costs $495 (£248), while sending remains into deep space, a service which comes into effect from 2009 will cost up to $12,500 (£6,257).

BBC