PDA

View Full Version : Third time lucky for Lara?

OMEN
04-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Port Of Spain - Legendary batsman Brian Lara has been named captain of the West Indies for a third time, it was announced here on Wednesday.

Lara has been in charge of the Windies a total of 40 times, winning 10 and losing 23.

His first stints as captain came in 1996-97 and 1999-2000, after which he resigned following a catastrophic series in New Zealand.

He was appointed for a second time in 2002-03, and after he stood down because of a contractual dispute with the board, Lara was eventually replaced by Shivnarine Chanderpaul in March 2005.

Lara admitted his third captaincy was a huge honour.

"It's a great honour. It's the third time I'm taking the job and I feel I have the necessary support," he said.

"Chanderpaul did a wonderful job under the circumstances. He'll reap the benefits later in life. He called me and he said he'd support me and asked that I give it some consideration."

Ken Gordon, the board chairperson, said Lara's appointment was not a stopgap measure.

"His appointment is not an interim one," he said. "His appointment as captain stands and it is not for any fixed period of time."

http://www.news24.com/Images/Source_Images/logo_afp.jpg