PDA

View Full Version : Big Phil ready to talk to Portugal

bad_meetz_evil
04-29-2006, 10:18 AM
http://images.skysports.com/images/playerpics05_06/WorldCup2006/coaches/scolari_press.jpg

Luiz Felipe Scolari says he is ready to 'renegotiate' his contract with Portugal after stunning The Football Association by withdrawing his interest in the England post.

The Soho Square powerbrokers had offered the Brazilian the chance to lead The Three Lions after the World Cup finals, but they must now reconsider who will follow Sven Goran Eriksson after Scolari blamed media intrusion as he ruled out taking the England job on Friday evening.

As Scolari emerged as a frontrunner to replace Eriksson, Portugal were bracing themselves to lose the World Cup winning coach after the 2006 tournament, but the 57-year-old has now revealed he may extend his contract.

Scolari also explained that whilst he was happy to talk to England, he felt as though he could not abandon his current post.

"The way is now open to renegotiate my contract with Portugal," Scolari told The Times.

"I have a message for the president that I like him, I hold him in high esteem, and I thank him for the opportunity he gave me to speak to England.

"I was very happy with the talks I held with the English, but I want to draw a line under the matter.

"I had the notion that this was a very important and urgent matter for Portugal. I felt their emotion and I felt that they ought to be treated like you would treat a child - with care.

"That gave me the impression that I was leaving a family, that I was heading the national team as if I was leading my own children.

"One of the people who was there asked me to take Portugal to the World Cup as if it was the last act of my life. So I got the message loud and clear.

"I am committed to the Portuguese FA (FPF) until the end of the World Cup and maybe longer."

Scolari may now be ready to pen a two year extension to his current deal and Portuguese Football Federation president Gilberto Madail confirmed on Friday night that the country are desperate to keen hold of the man who steered them to the final of Euro 2004.

"The doors of the FPF remain open - now more than ever - for Luiz Felipe Scolari to stay in charge of the national team," said Madail.

"All Portuguese people must be grateful for all that he has done for our country."

Credit: Sky Sports

Dark Drakan
04-29-2006, 06:22 PM
The media are to blame for his withdrawl, they shouldnt have hounded him like they did :hmm: cost england the chance of having a great manager. Steve Maclaren is next in line and i surpose if he excepts having a english manager is a great result and what the fans wanted and he has had great involvement with the team but he hasnt got the credentials that Scolari had.