PDA

View Full Version : Melvin Guillard Suspended Eight Months by NSAC

Will
05-09-2007, 11:52 PM
UFC lightweight and The Ultimate Fighter 2 cast member Melvin Guillard, who tested positive for cocaine after his UFC Fight Night 9 loss to Joe Stevenson, has been suspended eights months and fined $2,100 (30 percent of his $7,000 purse) by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, according to MMAWeekly.com.

His disciplinary hearing took place this morning.

According to the report, Guilllard admitted to using cocaine six days prior to his April 5 main event and that he expected the drug to be out of his system in time for his fight.

The failed test capped off what had already been an embarrassing series of events for the once-promising lightweight. Prior to the UFC Fight Night 9 bout, Guillard accused Stevenson of being a human-growth-hormone user — an accusation he was later forced to retract. Then, in their nationally televised main event, Stevenson submitted Guillard via guillotine choke in just 27 seconds.

News of the failed test surfaced the following week.

From MMAWeekly.com:

Guillard said, “I’ve only been introduced to drugs in the past year or so.” He added that he has only used drugs for recreational purposes, and that he does not have an addiction. Guillard did not specify which other drugs he has used, but he did state that he has never used performance-enhancing drugs.

Guillard said to the commissioners, “I made an honest mistake. I embarrassed myself, and I embarrassed my family.” Guillard said that the hardest part of the whole process was explaining to his mother what he had done. Guillard added that he has subsequently tried to put himself in a new environment with different people surrounding him and that he does not intend to use drugs in the future.

The suspension means that Guillard will fight no sooner than early December, and considering the UFC’s informal policy of giving its fighters second chances, his return could very well happen in the UFC.

The Team Punishment member is now 20-6-2 in his career, which includes a 3-2 mark in the UFC.