PDA

View Full Version : New Order bassist reveals split

OMEN
05-10-2007, 11:46 PM
New Order bassist reveals split

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42909000/jpg/_42909257_order_203_body.jpg
Hook (left) said he was no longer working with Sumner (right)
Legendary Manchester pop band New Order have split up, according to bassist Peter Hook.

Speaking about his involvement in Perry Farrell's new group Satellite Party, Hook told Xfm the band had broken up.

He and frontman Bernard Sumner had gone their separate ways and are no longer working together, he said.

Hook was a founding member of Joy Division, who became New Order. They enjoyed hits including Blue Monday, True Faith, Regret and World in Motion.

Hook has since said he was "relieved" that news of the split was out in the open.

Hook told Xfm's Clint Boon: "I spoke to Perry, and he asked me to play bass, as he'd heard about New Order splitting up. Well yeah, me and Bernard aren't working together."

'Awful secret'

New Order - who formed after the suicide of Joy Division vocalist Ian Curtis in 1980 - have had a number of quiet spells over the years, but the band has remained a going concern.

In 1989 Sumner joined up with former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr to form Electronic. He has also recorded tracks with fellow Mancunians 808 State and Sub Sub.

When asked if the split was permanent, Hook added: "Bernard went off for a break with Electronic, but that was different. But it's like the boy who cried wolf this time."

Hook added on his MySpace page: "I'm relieved. really hated carrying on as normal with an awful secret."

[I]BBC