PDA

View Full Version : Miners found alive and well

OMEN
04-30-2006, 07:39 PM
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5146938,00.jpg
Survivors ... Todd Russell, 35, and Brant Webb, 37.
TWO Tasmanian gold miners have survived five days trapped in a cage nearly a kilometre underground in what their families and colleagues say is nothing short of a miracle.
The news that Todd Russell, 35, and Brant Webb, 37, survived the rockfall that killed their mate at the Beaconsfield Gold Mine swept through the small town near Launceston just before 7pm (AEST) last night.

Locals erupted in cheers and applause as family members rushed to the mine site to join hundreds of people who had gathered there, many vowing not to leave until the men draw breath on the surface.

Last night, just 12m separated the men from their rescuers, who were digging a second tunnel to get them out.

But progress will now be slow because they are too close to use explosives which could injure the pair, or trigger another rockfall.

Beaconsfield Gold Mine management and union representatives were last night trying to work out the safest and fastest way to rescue the men.Australian Workers Union deputy national president Paul Howes said the miners had spoken to rescuers and were coping well.

"They're in good spirits, and obviously they're in good spirits because of their sheer will and determination that had led them to survive so far," Mr Howes said.

"The first thing they wanted to find out was the footy scores, and how long till they could get out.

"By all reports they're in good health, but they must be scared and they must be feeling a lot of pain at the moment, but hopefully we will get there shortly.

"It could take days, but it could be quicker than that, but we just don't know. We're hopeful that it could be soon."

A form of radio or camera communication was used to establish that the two miners were still alive, protected from the rockfall by the cage of a cherry picker.

"They've heard them speaking," Mr Webb's mother-in-law Julie Kelly said.

"There was a big slab of rock over their cage, so they are unhurt.

"They are saying how they are not hurt was because there was nothing (no rocks) in the cage.

"Obviously they will be dehydrated and everything, but they are just wanting them (rescuers) to hurry up."

Mr Webb's wife Rachel was told by a mine official who ran to the family home to break the news.

"He knelt down in tears and said they were alive," Mrs Kelly said.

"It's absolutely wonderful, we really didn't expect it."

Mr Webb's son Zach, 18, said he hoped to hug his father today.

"It's absolutely awesome. We've been jumping and screaming, kissing everyone, hugging and yelling. So I'm really happy about the situation."

United Church Community Minister Frances Seen said she was in church praying when Todd Russell's mother came running in with the news.

"Todd Russell's mother came running in singing out 'they're alive, they're alive, they're alive'," she said.

"And she cried and hugged us and it was exciting.

"God is good. He's still a miracle-working God."

Todd's Russell's mother Kaye Russell said: "Todd's putting in for meal allowance, overtime pay and living away from home allowance, so I hope they've got their cheque book ready."

His father Noel said he was at a loss for words.

"There's no words to tell how I feel, just over the moon," he said at the mine.

He said he had given up hope but "only because I knew he would make a liar out of me."

Mr Russell's young daughter said she couldn't wait to see her dad.

"I'll give him a big cuddle and a kiss - and bash him," Maddison Russell said.

Locals gathered at the mine last night to cheer the men's survival which comes as the town mourns the loss of Larry Knight, 44, whose body was recovered from the mine on Thursday.

"I just wish I could give Larry's wife part of my miracle," Mr Russell's mother Kaye said.

NewsAU