PDA

View Full Version : Granny, 95, graduates uni to set record

bad_meetz_evil
05-15-2007, 06:32 AM
Nola Ochs wanted to study history, but the 95-year-old Kansas woman made it herself when she graduated from university, becoming the world's oldest-ever recipient of a bachelor's degree.

On Saturday (local time) Ms Ochs, born in 1911, garnered a standing ovation from her classmates at Fort Hays State University when she received her degree in general studies and history from the governor of Kansas.

"It was great ... Everybody stood up and cheered," she said.

Asked why she studied history, she replied: "Because well, I've seen a lot of history... and I'm interested in it".

Ms Ochs lived the life of a farm housewife for years in Jetmore, Kansas, and began taking university correspondence courses at the age of 67, after her husband died.

"I was a farmer's wife. Then my husband died and my children were grown and I just sought outside entertainment, pastimes, something I like to do," she explained.

After a time learning by mail was not enough. She moved onto the campus of 4,500, living side by side with students who could be her great-great-grandchildren.

"I am very happy to say that students accepted me on the campus as just another student. They call me by my first name," she said, who still drives herself around town.

She did not just study history: public speaking, composition, and computers figured in her courses as well. And she is planning more classes ahead, on the Internet and story-telling.

As for breaking a world record for oldest graduate, that just added cream on top of the occasion, she said.

"I was really happy about it. It's something totally unexpected and I appreciate the response that the public has given me," she said.

"I hope it inspired people into seeking further learning. Just keep on learning. We don't ever finish our education."

Credit: ABC.net

Jodes
05-15-2007, 11:15 AM
thats cool thanks for sharing that bme:)