PDA

View Full Version : More for Kate

OMEN
05-02-2006, 09:46 AM
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5147734,00.jpg
Back on track ... Paul Dempsey (centre) from Something For Kate, with Stephanie Ashworth and Clint Hyndman
SOMETHING for Kate singer Paul Dempsey has had one of the worst years of his life.
Dempsey battled depression in 2005, trying different medications to help.

He's now come out the other side and says he is happier than he has ever been - coinciding with the group's return to public life.

"It was a really rough year, definitely the worst year of my life yet," said the Melbourne-based Dempsey, 29.

"It was everything. Personal problems led to a lot of doubt and difficulty about professional things and they all kind of feed each other."

Dempsey said he did not want to sound like a whingeing musician because he appreciated the many positives in his life.

But suffering depression was something he could not get away from.

"I went on medication and I just thought I was losing my mind because of a number of things," he said.

"I have had bad bouts of depression for as long as I can remember but this was the first time that it was bad enough that I thought I needed help."

Looking forward, Dempsey is keen to get back on the road and is enjoying his music.

Something for Kate has a new single, Cigarettes and Suitcases, in stores and will release a new album, Desert Lights, in July.

It will be the group's fifth studio album.

The group will also play a series of dates around the country this month, starting in Coffs Harbour on May 19, before heading to Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Adelaide and Perth.

"I am just really excited about what we have come up with," he said.

"I have honestly never been happier."

Dempsey said Desert Light signalled a new direction for the band.

"We just wanted to be a lot more live sounding and have less of the multi-layered heavy orchestration," he said.

"It just feels really energetic and fresh for us."

Bang

Kellie
05-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Great band, good to see them back