PDA

View Full Version : Snoop rocks Cape Town

OMEN
05-02-2006, 11:01 PM
http://www.news24.com/Images/Photos/2006050215151830_SnoopDogg220.jpg
IN THE SPOTLIGHT: American rap artist Snoop Dogg in action.
Cape Town - Rain failed to dampen the spirits of Cape Town fans who waited for hours to see gangsta rap veteran Snoop Doggy Dogg at the People's Celebration concert in Green Point on Monday - but the wait was certainly worth it.

The Boss drove the crowd barking mad with mega hits from his rap career spanning 16 years, including What's My Name, Gin & Juice, and recent hits Beautiful and Drop It Like It's Hot.

And his gear didn't disappoint either - contrary to what one might believe, he told News24 it usually takes him only about 25 to 30 minutes to get ready for a gig! (And the crowd seemed to also be adorned in their fair share of fur and bling.)

Biggest hip hop show to hit SA

Snoop headlined the concert alongside Mario, Pharrell Williams and Sean Paul at what has been called the largest hip-hop show of its kind held in this country.

Williams, probably one of the most prolific producers of the last decade (he's produced for Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, Gwen Stefani, Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z and others) had the crowd eating out of his hand - even more so when a few local honeys were called on stage to join him. He certainly blew me away.

Unfortunately, he won't be joining Snoop in Joburg on Wednesday night, as he had to return to the US after the Cape Town gig. Tickets for the Joburg show will be reduced and people who had tickets for last week's People's Celebration concert can get in for free. Homegrown hip-hop acts Hip Hop Pantsula and Skwatta Kamp will warm up the stage for the Boss.

Promises to return to SA

Both Williams and Snoop expressed to News24 a desire to return to SA. "I'll certainly be back," said Williams. "And I'd encourage anyone to come here. The people are so warm."

Despite a knee injury picked up on a recent tour in the US, Sean Paul's set was very energetic and included hits from his album Dutty Rock and his new album Trinity.

Mario's a superstar in the making. His smooth R&B sound, and even smoother dance moves were certainly a hit with the ladies. (Yup, he too had a local honey on stage - and yes, You Should Let Me Love You had the girls swooning).

Local acts shine

The local acts more than held their own. Zola, part of SA's Oscar-winning Tsotsi cast, certainly took things up a couple of notches in the afternoon. I thought he rocked - as did Freshlyground, who exuded lots of energy and had the crowd singing along to big hits Doo Be Doo and I'd like. Loyiso also kept the groove going.

Pity though, in true Cape Town style, locals failed to really support these acts. Lets hope we'll soon start showing more appreciation for the gems we do have on our doorstep.

http://www.news24.com/Images/Source_Images/news24_115.gif