PDA

View Full Version : Mobb Deep: Road to Riches

Stunner
05-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Say it isn’t so!?!? Yes, Queensbridge’s own native sons, Mobb Deep, known veterans in the rap game, have formed an alliance with Mr. Curtis Interscope Jackson, a.k.a. 50 Cent. Now before another naysayer comes forward to bring more negativity onto this ground-breaking unification of two of the most brilliant minds in the business, Crave Online recently sat down with one half of the, mostly, underground NYC duo, Capital P, or as he’s more commonly known, Prodigy, and let him shed some positive light on this whole situation…
Mobb Deep: Road To Riches

By: Todd Davis

“Basically, we did songs with 50 before he was signed to Shady (Records),” P slowly begins, re-iterating that this unique pairing was not something formed quickly overnight. “So, he’s just showing the love back (by signing us), I guess. He (just) reached out to us, and was like, ‘Yo, I wanna do a deal with y’all. Let’s sit down and talk.’ And, we took it from there.” Last year, and as an incentive to inking, 50 Cent purchased, the self proclaimed Hollywood Hav & V.I.P, brand new Porsches.

With their initial signing to G Unit, both Havoc and Prodigy want it made clear that this inking was not strictly isolated only to their music. “The whole reason why we made the deal is ‘cause it’s bigger than a record deal,” P announces loudly. Expounding, “It’s (also) a book deal, (a) Reebok deal with G Unit clothing, Crown Royal liquor company, Infamous Records. We’re like one big business. We’re not just signed (as a group) with them.”

On their seventh studio set, and first for G Unit/Interscope Records, Blood Money, the members of M.O.B.B. stick to their long standing mantra, If it ain’t broke, Don’t fix it!! The project’s premier release, the Sha Money XL helmed, Put Em In Their Place, has already become a staple over at MTV, receiving regular rotation [a career first for the group] and future predictions see nothing but further greatness to come.

“Yeah, it’s Blood Money,” P states, attempting to explain the derivation of the new project’s title. Offering, “New Mobb Deep album called, Blood Money. Most of the titles of our albums scare people and shock people when they hear it. Blood Money just stands out because really all money is blood money, (it’s) evil. When you think about the new deal, you think about all the money that we about to get -- that’s why we chose that title.”

Blood Money features appearances from fellow G Unit soldiers; Lloyd Banks (Stole Something), Young Buck (Give It To Me), Tony Yayo (Click Click), and, of course, Fiddy (Creep, Pearly Gates, The Infamous, & the Mary J Blige assisted, It’s Alright). As always, Havoc contributed to the majority of the production, weighing in heavily on six of the album’s fourteen cuts, with some additional help from several other highly skilled sonic architects, i.e. Jonathan ‘JR’ Rotem, Alchemist, and impressive newcomers, Chad Beat, Product & Whitton, Exile, Profile, and K-Lassik Beats. Unfortunately, the highly anticipated Dr. Dre collaboration, Nightmares, failed to make the cut due to an issue with a sample clearance.

Source: Craveonline.com