PDA

View Full Version : Does Rob Van Dam own his ring name?

AFC1986
05-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Dave Meltzer stated on Bryan Alvarez’s Figure Four Daily audio update that wrestler Robert Szatowski does own his ring name, Rob Van Dam. There had been speculation that Szatowski had signed his ring name over to WWE. Basically this means Szatowksi can wrestle as Rob Van Dam outside of World Wrestling Entertainment. The current plan as things stand has Van Dam finishing up at the One Night Stand PPV on 6/3.

credit: gerweck.net

i think him owning his wrestling name is crucial as it means the fans of whichever promotion he sings for won't have to get used to a whole new character

bad_meetz_evil
05-25-2007, 09:41 PM
That's better than Team 3D for example. Their new name really sucks, once you get used to the Dudley Boys. Well it looks like RVD wont go down that path.

Butoden
05-25-2007, 10:01 PM
That's cool. :D I thought WWE owned his name but thats great news. ( for TNA )

legolas4792
05-25-2007, 10:12 PM
thats good he made the name famous now he doesnt have to make a new name famous

Role Model
05-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Very awesome news because I love the whole RVD character and would not enjoying watching him with anything else but really, I don't believe he would do well with anything else as the RVD gimmick has been with him since he started. Smart move by RVD and I just wish the Dudleys would have taken that show root.

scorpionf
05-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Good news that RVD owns that name! He won't need to come up with a new one when he leaves, and the fans won't have to get used to a new one either!

WWE tries to get the copyright to everything, so that wrestlers can't take their name with them when they leave!

XXKSXX
05-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Good for RVD. That was probably the smartest thing he ever did was own his own ring name.

BigAl147
05-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I agree, whilst a name change wouldn't have necessarily ruined him it could have had a negative impact on his impact and value. Wonder where he'll end up though. Wouldnt even suprsie me if its a swerve and he ends up back at WWE