PDA

View Full Version : Robbery 'like a horror movie'

OMEN
05-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Pretoria - "I thought the gun was just to scare me, but then the shots rang out and I knew it was for real," said Daleen Verdoorn, 34, after three robbers had overpowered her family in their home.

Daleen's husband, Francois, 37, was shot three times - in the right foot and twice in the right leg.

He shot one of the robbers three times in the chest, killing him in the driveway.

Daleen said it was like a horror-movie scene, with shots being fired, her wounded husband and blood all over the house. Some of the bullets hit a wall, a fridge, the garage windows and her car.

"The two other robbers fled as soon as the shooting started.

"According to the neighbours, a fourth suspect was waiting in a getaway car," she said.

Daleen said the drama started when she arrived home in the evening.

Three came in with the car

"When I got near the house, I phoned to tell my husband that I was almost there. He opened the garage door and I drove in.

"I looked back to see whether the gate was closing.

"As I started to get out of the car, three of them suddenly appeared next to me. I started yelling, but one of them ordered me: 'Don't make a noise, we just want money'."

Francois fortunately saw through a window that the robbers had entered the garage with her car.

He ran to the safe to get his pistol. Meanwhile, the robbers had forced Daleen into the house.

"When I walked into the dining room, I saw my husband crouching behind a kitchen cupboard, cocking the gun."

"I walked past him, and just as the robber directly behind me was about to pass him, the man saw him and shot at him. My husband returned fire."

Locked herself in bedroom

"While the shots rang out, I ran to the children to see if they were okay. They were fast asleep.

"I ran to my bedroom, locked the door and called the police and security company. They soon arrived," she said.

Francois is recovering from his wounds in Kloof Hospital.

Inspector Anton Breedt said the police were investigating the robbery

http://www.news24.com/Images/Source_Images/beeld_small.jpg