PDA

View Full Version : Live Results UFC 71 - "Lidell vs. Jackson"

Will
05-27-2007, 04:58 AM
PRELIM FIGHTS

Fight #1:
-Wilson Gouveia vs. Carmelo Marrero

Round 1: Round opens with the two feeling each other out on the feet. Gouveia starts working the leg kicks, to some success. Marrero goes for a crumby takedown and gets stuck in a guillotine choke. Gouveia sweeps him (still in the choke) and finishes the submission for the victory.

Wilson Gouveia def. Carmelo Marrero via Submission (guillotine choke) at 3:06 of Round 1.

Fight #2:
-Din Thomas vs. Jeremy Stephens

Round 1: Thomas gets a takedown early on to start the round. He passed to side-mount and eventually takes Stephens' back. He's working for a rear naked choke, not getting it though. Still working for it, but eventually Stephens gets out and is on top hammering down. Round ends soon-thereafter. 10-9 for Din Thomas.

Round 2: Thomas starting the round out working his jab. Thomas shoots for a takedown, Stephens defends but Thomas pulls guard. Thomas sinches in a good armbar, but Stephens slams him. Doesn't matter though, armbar still in and "Big" John stops the contest. Stephens' cornerman is protesting the tap. After the fight, Thomas challenges boxing stars Floyd Mayweather, and the man who challenged UFC 155 lb. champion Sean Sherk, Kermit Cintron.

Din Thomas def. Jeremy Stephens via Submission (armbar) at 2:44 of Round 2.

Fight #3:
-Sean Salmon vs. Alan Belcher

Round 1: Salmon goes for a scoop slam early, but Belcher slaps on a guillotine choke. Trying to escape, Salmon gets stuck in Belcher's guard and taps out.

Alan Belcher def. Sean Salmon via Submission (guillotine choke) at 0:53 of Round 1.

Fight #4:
-James Irvin vs. Thiago Silva

Round 1: Irvin comes out landing a big punch and a leg kick. Silva shoots in for a takedown and the two force each other up against the cage. Irvin just suffered some sort of leg injury during this and the fight is stopped. Looks like a freak knee injury.

Thiago Silva def. James Irvin via TKO (injury stoppage) at 1:06 of Round 1.

PPV FIGHTS

Fight #5:
-Chris Leben vs. Kalib Starnes

Round 1: Round opens with the two feeling each other out. Leben is the more confident on the feet, Starnes the more aprehensive. Most of the round on the feet with Leben out-scoring Starnes until about a minute left, Starnes gets Leben down and controls him until the round ends. Near the end of the round, Starnes did some great ground and pound work.

Round 2: Definitely a Leben round. Starnes looks gassed. Most of the round on the feet with Leben out-striking Starnes and Starnes seemingly mentally out of the fight already.

Round 3: Another Leben round. Near a close finish for Leben on the feet with a strike, but no dice. Starnes had the last minute or so on the ground on top, but Leben was more active underneath anyways. 29-28 Leben at the worst, could even be some 30-27's.

Kalib Starnes def. Chris Leben via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28) after 3 Rounds.

Fight #6:
-Keith Jardine vs. Houston Alexander

Round 1: The most brutal knockout loss ever. And the winner - Houston Alexander. Early on, Jardine rocked Alexander with one shot - but that was it. Alexander proceeded to pummel the holy shit out of Jardine. To his credit, Jardine wouldn't go down for nearly anything - but eventually one of too many BOMB-like shots did the trick. Complete and brutal knockout.

Houston Alexander def. Keith Jardine via KO (strikes) in Round 1.

Fight #7:
-Ivan Salaverry vs. Terry Martin

Round 1: Terry Martin wins via TKO stoppage via slam. The round was all on the feet until the finish, which saw Martin somewhat Judo throw Salaverry - whom landed right on his head and seemed out. He turtled up and Martin landed a couple punches until the ref jumped in.

Terry Martin def. Ivan Salaverry via TKO (ref stoppage) at 2:04 of Round 1.

Fight #8:
-Karo Parisyan vs. Josh Burkman

Round 1: Great first round. These two are swinging INCREDIBLY hard. Parisyan is seemingly getting the better on the feet. Parisyan gets an awesome judo-throw also in the round. Burkman had his moments, but I'd go 10-9 Parisyan thus far.

Round 2: Another Parisyan round. This is a great fight. Whole round on the feet with Parisyan having more moments than Burkman. Not one-sided, but seems like a Parisyan fight. Then again, I was dead wrong on Leben-Starnes.

Round 3: Another Parisyan round, not as exciting as the first two but still a good round. Near the end, Burkman was completely gassed, but Parisyan was tired enough not to be able to capitalize. This should be 30-27 across the board, with only one round being arguable for Burkman.

Karo Parisyan def. Josh Burkman via Unanimous Decision after 3 Rounds.

Fight #9:
-Chuck Liddell (c) vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (UFC LHW Title)

— JACKSON VS. LIDDELL, ROUND 1: Both guys are feeling each other out, and Liddell throws a short leg kick. Both guys looking for the counter. Jackson remains patient while Liddell bounces around him. Liddell connects on an uppercut and Jackson counters with a right. Jackson connects on a big right hook that drops Liddell. Jackson pounces for a few additional shots while Liddell looks knocked out, and the fight is stopped. Liddell argues the stoppage, but the fight is over.

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson def. Chuck Liddell via KO (punch) in Round 1(1:53) to become UFC Light Heavyweight champion.

Post Fight — A very animated Jackson walks us through the fight, and from the replay, the stoppage seemed a wise one. As expected, Liddell was humble in defeat. As expected, Dan Henderson is brought into the Octagon to “challenge” Jackson in what will be his first title defense since beating Liddell. However, the “challenge” commences with a hug and lovefest, and Henderson says he looks forward to competing and making some money with his friend.

I was late putting this up because I had to go to Oklahoma today to pick up a motorcycle, which turned into an all day task and made me miss the first half of this PPV. Credit to MMANews for the pbp.

Will
05-27-2007, 05:29 AM
I can understand how people are going to try and call this another upset in a list that is getting very very long, but I actually expected rampage to get the win here, unlike the last 5 or 6 upset fights. The PPV, as a whole, was fairly disappointing to me because of how quick most of the fights were. UFC 72 is one of the least impressive cards, on paper, that the UFC has had in a very very long time so it looks like a couple of unimpressive cards in a row before "stacked" at 73.

Slayer_X
05-27-2007, 08:00 AM
thanx man

Butoden
05-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Rampage is a funny guy and I'm happy to see Liddell got beat once, Rampage got that nasty counter in which put Liddell down fast! I was also suprised the ref stopped it that fast but in the replay it was justified. Just shows how good those refs are.

Will
05-27-2007, 06:26 PM
I knew that Liddell was beat as soon as he hit the mat. Granted he wasn't out long, but he went flat on his back and both his arms went limp, for a millisecond, it was a justified ko stoppage.

LionDen
05-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanx Will, only saw parts of it, seemed ok, I will have to watch it. Alot of pissed off people though that Liddell lost.