New Japan had no other alternative but to let go of Kazuchika Okada, according to parent company Busihiroad's President Takaaki Kidani.

Despite being one of New Japan's top stars for years, it was in January 2024 that the company announced it would not be renewing the contract of the 'Rainmaker.' This ended the 18-year tenure of Okada under contract and was met with a backlash at the time.

In an interview with Proresu-TODAY, Kidani was asked for his thoughts on Okada's departure.

"I can only say that I had no choice. As I have said many times, if I were in the same position, I would have done the same thing. So I can only say that it can't be helped and that I wish them all the best, and I may sound like a customer, but all I can say is, please spread the word of Japan's greatness to the world."

Okada benefitted greatly from Bushiroad's influence during his NJPW run as the company scored him media appearances and commercials that elevated his star power. With that said, Kidani made clear that Okada's in-ring success was all his own doing.

"He became what he is because he worked hard, but I think it was also due to the cooperation of those around him and good rivalry between them."

Since leaving New Japan, Okada has signed with AEW and wasted no time in March by siding himself with The Elite. The Rainmaker is currently in his first reign as AEW Continental Champion. He will team with his Elite allies at AEW Double or Nothing 2024 to face FTR, Darby Allin, and Bryan Danielson in the Anarchy in the Arena match.