Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

The Mac

Default Jon Jones: I Absolutely Hate When People Mention Rashad Evans

A few months ago Jon Jones and Rashad Evans would have both sworn up and down that they'd never fight each other, and that they wanted only the best for one another even as the two teammates both chased UFC light heavyweight gold.

But with Jones' title shot at UFC 128 against champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua just around the corner, those days are now but a distant memory.

While Jones described Evans as a friend on Wednesday's UFC media call, he also insisted that won't be thinking at all about his teammate at the Jackson squad when he takes on Rua in Newark, New Jersey next Saturday night. Even if he got the title shot only after an injury knocked Evans out of the main event, Jones was in no mood to discuss the fighter he's described in previous interviews as a mentor and a big brother.

"With all due respect to you as a reporter – and I want to make it clear to all the other reporters – but I absolutely hate when people mention Rashad Evans, especially throughout this training camp," Jones said when asked about the recent change of heart both men have had with regards to meeting in the cage at some point in the future.

"He's a friend of mine, but I'm fighting Mauricio "Shogun", one of the best fighters that's been around for a long time, and for people to even be mentioning Rashad Evans right now, I think it's ludicrous," Jones continued. "Rashad is not in my mind, he's not in my being. He has absolutely zero to do with my heart and who I am right now. Right now it's me versus Jon Jones, and I'm beating all the weakness out of myself, beating all the give-up out of myself, I'm beating the lack of cardio, I'm beating the lack of confidence – any sign of weakness that's in my heart, I'm getting rid of it. The fact that people are bringing [up] Rashad, it almost angers me. This guy has nothing to do with Shogun, and I think from here on out I won't even answer a question about Rashad."

If you're noticing a change in Jones' tone when it comes to his teammate, you're not alone.

As recently as two months ago Jones told MMA Fighting that he and Evans "have to be happy for each other and we have to always be pulling for one another," adding that he would wait his turn or consider a move up in weight if Evans became the 205-pound champ.

But in an interview aired on Versus last week, Jones appeared to have changed his mind on a potential fight with Evans, remarking that if it was the fight the UFC wanted to make, "I guess that's what would have to happen." Upon hearing that, Evans said on ESPN's 'MMA Live' that since he was "no punk," he'd have no choice but to accept that offer as well.

And just like that, a never turned into a maybe.

Only now that Jones is preparing for the fight of a lifetime against Rua, he's understandably sounding a little irked by questions that take him on the same detour away from the task at hand.

Even if it was Evans' misfortune that resulted in Jones getting his moment to shine, the 23-year-old phenom doesn't sound as though he's losing much sleep over what's to become of his teammate.

"Rashad's my friend, he's my boy, but I definitely won't be thinking about Rashad at all throughout this fight," said Jones. "If anyone I'll be bringing with me, it's God. I'll be bringing God with me and the faces and images of all my training partners and my coaches. I'll draw from all of them. You know, there's a quote that says you're only as good as the people you're around, and Rashad being one of them, but I have a lot of people outside of him who I can draw energy and power from, and they'll all be with me."

I knew I liked him for a reason. Rashad is overrated i think. The man was champ for a reason but he is more of and anthlete than a fighter to me. I hate when people say that he is lucky he got a title shot. That bullshit, he is so under rated. Do I think he is going to beat Shogun? No but I think it will closer than what the people think that it is going to be. Bader was a top contender, and he dominated him. So people saying that he doesnt deserve his title shot is nonsense.

gfx credit: Role Model

"The best in the world" Andre Jones
    Triple Crown Winner
    2x LOW Heavyweight Champion
    2x Mr. Money in the Bank
    2013 Superstar of the Year
    1X Universal Champion
    1X LOW Tag Team Champion
    42-18-2 1-NC

Ashley Lane
    1X Women's Champion
    6-4-1

The Mac

i think the reason y people say he doesnt deserve it is because of how fast he got it, and the fact dana has said he was the last resort

Well, I think he deserves it, but he still needs to prove himself a lot to be considered a top guy in the light heavyweight division. Of course, if he manages to beat Shogun, that'd definitely be a big step in that direction, but the only real contender he's beaten was Bader and he was virtually unproven himself, so it's hard to say how good he really is, when it comes to the top in the division.