Ric Flair's AEW debut could have come years earlier than it did if not for the considerable backlash following Dark Side of the Ring's 'Plane Ride from Hell' episode.

A two-time WWE Hall of Famer and 16-time World Champion, Flair debuted for AEW during this week's Dynamite. The Nature Boy was introduced as the 'gift' from Tony Khan to Sting. The Icon recently shared his plan to retire at AEW Revolution 2024 in March of next year.

In 2021, Flair requested his release from WWE, which was subsequently granted, and many expected that he would be joining AEW. After all, Flair's son-in-law Andrade El Idolo had recently parted ways with his manager Chavo Guerrero, and many suspected that Flair would take Chavo's place.

During Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer noted that AEW wanted to bring Flair in back in 2021, but the backlash against Flair following the Plane Ride from Hell episode derailed those plans.

"I know that he was gonna go there, what was it about...it was right when that Dark Side of The Ring thing came out that he was gonna go there. I think, I don't know this but I was assuming he was gonna go as the manager of Andrade but he and Tony Khan had a verbal deal, and after Dark Side came out, you know they...it was not the right time. So they saved it for now."

The infamous 2002 plane ride saw several WWE Superstars cause several disruptions during a flight following a European tour. Flair is alleged to have worn nothing but his entrance robe and forced at least one female fight attendant to touch his genitals. Flair has denied any improper conduct.

Flair has now made his AEW debut, and we may soon be seeing more of him. On Twitter, Flair alluded to being along for the 'journey,' implying that he may be making more appearances for AEW ahead of Sting's retirement. At this time, Flair has not been announced for any future AEW events.