AEW TBS Champion Kris Statlander doesn't believe her time as an alien was a mistake but admits that the character may have limited her chances.

Statlander is in her first reign as AEW TBS Champion, having dethroned Jade Cargill at AEW Double or Nothing in May of this year. Statlander also retained against Cargill in what would be Jade's final AEW match before joining WWE. Statlander's title win was well-received by those within AEW, as Statlander is universally loved backstage and worked to help AEW during last year's injury.

When Statlander joined AEW in 2019, she was presented as 'The Galaxy's Greatest Alien' and billed from the Andromeda Galaxy. Statlander, an avid fan of science fiction, moved away from the character last year, with her billed home being changed to Long Island, New York. Statlander's inverted piledriver finisher, originally named 'Big Bang Theory' was rechristened 'More Than a Woman' a nod to the Bee Gees song that she used as a theme early into her career.

Speaking with D.S. Shin of Ring the Belle, Statlander addressed transitioning away from her alien character.

"I know some people, a lot of people didn’t take that seriously and they never thought that it would be world champion material, and it might’ve been but I just felt like it was time for me to try and grow. Not just as a person, as a performer, and just try something different."

Statlander stopped short of calling her alien persona a "mistake" but reiterated that it was time to try something new.