Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

End Of All Things To Come XXKSXX's Avatar

Default NFL: Bucs' Trade for running back likely after Pittman's injury

Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden joked Monday that he thinks he has the phone number for Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders. But the situation at tailback is hardly a laughing matter for the Bucs, with the loss of Michael Pittman to an ankle injury suffered during the team's loss at Indianapolis on Sunday afternoon.

Pittman will miss 6-8 weeks, Gruden acknowledged, and his absence will likely force the Bucs to add a veteran tailback either through free agency or in a trade.

Fourth-year veteran back Earnest Graham, a former undrafted college free agent form the University of Florida, now becomes the starter. The backup will be rookie Kenneth Darby, who was elevated from the practice squad last week.

A 10th-year veteran, Pittman suffered the injury in the fourth quarter at the end of a four-yard run. Tampa Bay officials characterized the injury as a severe sprain, Pittman was undergoing further tests on Monday and the suspicion is that he suffered a cracked fibula.

Tampa Bay lost starting tailback Carnell "Cadillac" Williams to a ruptured patella tendon last week. He has already undergone surgery, been placed on injured reserve, and now faces a lengthy rehabilitation period that could extend into next summer.

"It's a tough blow for us," said Gruden. "We've lost Mike Alstott, now Mike Pittman and Carnell Williams, the three guys who were obviously the go-to ball-handlers the last couple years around here."

Bucs officials were already exploring trade options last week and almost certainly will ramp up those efforts now. Tampa Bay has inquired about Minnesota backup tailback Mewelde Moore, a fourth-year veteran who is No. 3 on the Vikings' depth chart, and offered a sixth-round pick for him. The Vikings, however, are seeking a first-day selection.

Another possibility might be LaBrandon Toefield of Jacksonville, a talented backup who has drawn trade interest in the past from other teams.

The problem for Bucs general manager Bruce Allen now is that he is hardly operating from a position of strength, and other teams will use that as leverage in trade talks. But at 3-2, even coming off the lopsided loss to the Colts, the Bucs are tied for first place in the NFC South, aand with the New Orleans Saints still winless, the division is wide open.

"I think we're going to go for it," Gruden said of the possibility of consummating a trade. "Going for it, though, you still have to have somebody that's a willing partner. Sometimes that's easier said than done."

Among the free agent tailbacks still available, the Bucs phoned the agent for Corey Dillon last week, but the veteran rebuffed those advances.

For now, the Bucs will go with Graham and Darby, and hit the telephone as they seek to add at least one veteran reinforcement. Tampa Bay will not immediately place Pittman on injured reserve, hoping he might be able to return late in the season.

"We'd like to have him back, to be perfectly honest," Gruden said during his Monday news conference. "That's my gut at this point. Until we get the final medical analysis, we can't really comment, but at this point in time we'd like to keep him around here because he's a guy we desperately need. Hopefully he can return."

Graham has rushed for 147 yards and three touchdowns on 36 carries this season. For his career, he has logged only 88 rushes for 362 yards and three scores.
    ESPN

I would have to say they are going to need something. It's to bad the Bucs were doing pretty good till the injury bug killed the RB position. They have also lost a tackle to so thats not going to help out the running game.

RIP JC

well, they upgraded it a little bit today with a player that knows the Gruden system well, Zack Crockett. All in all it wasn't that bad of a pickup, provides them with the type of depth they will need until Pittman is back to full strength.

Ring Crew

two years straight they lost someone while playing carolina last year simms this year williams being a panthers fan i don't want them to win but i don't like it when they lose their best players due to injury.

add newly acquired Michael Bennett from the Chiefs to the mix. Bucs depth looks scary, but at least they have some experience if Earnest Graham starts to fall on his face before Pittman gets back.

I think Michael Bennett will do pretty good in this system he can run the ball but they will have RB problems the rest of the year u just got to over come those problems.

RIP JC

Quote Originally Posted by XXKSXX
    I think Michael Bennett will do pretty good in this system he can run the ball but they will have RB problems the rest of the year u just got to over come those problems.
    In reality I can't see the Bucs RB problems to be fixed even next season. Cadillac is a nice flashy type of RB, but he isn't the best answer as a grind it out, every down type of back. Every season of his NFL career has been cut short because of injury along with the fact he was always banged up back at Auburn. Thats why Cadillac's backup in Ronnie Brown back at Auburn was chosen before Cadillac in the NFL draft. The best option for the Bucs is to trade away Cadillac in hopes they can snag a better RB of the future, maybe look at Michael Turner of the Chargers.
    Last edited by SharkGraphics; 10-18-2007 at 05:26 AM.

I think they will keep Williams. He's a good back he just needs to not career the load. I personally think that ever team needs 2 good RB's. The RB position is one of the positions that has more injury's then any other position. It's a fact RB's get injured easer. The Packers have 5 RB's on the roster and if they had to play this week end only 2 of them are active. You can never have enough RB's in the NFL.

RIP JC