This week some proof of a cancelled sequel to fan favorite Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks was discovered. The details found the personal website of a Matthew Doyle, a former Midway Los Angeles employee, who posted some level design concept from a Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks 2, which was marked as cancelled.

http://www.trmk.org/news/12706/cance...e_details.html

When FDMK questioned him about the title, Matthew said that the game was cancelled early on his tenure at the company, and at the time was working under the codename of Fire and Ice because of the use of Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

Matthew Doyle: It was canceled within a few weeks of my arriving at Midway. I don't have anything else to show you unfortunately. Half the studio was laid off, and new management was brought in. Then we started work on TNA Wrestling.

A prototype level was built, but that was it. A few design docs were worked on, and a few characters were made in 3D - Scorpion and Subzero. The game was codenamed Fire & Ice - as those two characters were to be the main characters. I was really looking forward to doing level design and construction for it. It was a shame it was canceled.

Since Matthew only worked for Midway for the period of a year from April 2006 April 2007 according to his LinkedIn profile so it's very likely the game was cancelled in April or May of 2006 since after that the Los Angeles studio started to focus on the TNA Impact project before the studio was merged with the San Diego studios in 2008.

Does this mean we'll never see a sequel? No, just means a version of the game that was worked on in the Spring of 2006 was shelved. We have no idea or knowledge if the game ever was picked up again for development, but we doubt this is the last we'll hear about another Mortal Kombat Adventure game.