Jose Mourinho believes Chelsea's 2007/08 campaign can only be viewed as 'great' by an individual with 'the philosophy of a loser'.

The former Blues boss was speaking prior to the announcement on Saturday evening that Avram Grant's eight-month tenure at Stamford Bridge had been terminated.

Grant was unable to lead his side to silverware during his time at the club after finishing second in the Premier League and suffering defeat in both the Carling Cup and UEFA Champions League finals.

And Mourinho, who left Chelsea last September after guiding the club to two League titles and an FA Cup and Carling Cup success, has labelled Chelsea's 2007/08 season as 'very bad'.

Loser

When asked if the term had been a good one, the Portuguese told The Observer: "That depends on your philosophy of leadership.

"In my philosophy it was a very bad one because in football 'almost' means defeat and Chelsea almost won the Carling Cup, almost won the Champions League and almost won the Premier League. Almost is nothing.

"After two titles per season for the last three years there were zero titles this season, which in my philosophy means a really bad season. Maybe in the philosophy of a loser this was a great season, which I respect."

On Chelsea's Champions League penalty shoot-out defeat to Manchester United, Mourinho added: "The best team lost the Champions League final, like last season the best team lost the Champions League semi-final.

"That is football. I have always said that details make the difference at this level - and luck is a really big detail.

Very sad

"I am very sad about what happened. In the last two years this team lost a Champions League final and a Champions League semi-final on penalties. The supporters deserve more, Roman and the board deserve more.

"Yes, I was sad. Yes, I felt deeply that it was not fair. But I believe that after an empty season new success will come to Chelsea. And I will always be a Chelsea supporter."

sky sports