A mother who lost a gold ring 35 years ago when it slipped through a crack in the floorboards of a chapel has finally got it back.

Carys Williams never forgot that she lost her precious signet ring in Moriah Chapel, Gwyddelwern, near Corwen, just a fortnight after she was given it.

She gave up hope of ever seeing it again but recently drove past the chapel and noticed it was being demolished - and grabbed her chance, reports the North Wales Post.

She told contractors the story but was informed it was too dangerous to search for it herself.

The workmen promised they would have a look and Carys left, thinking that was the end of it.

But one of the workmen riddled out the soil under the floorboards for two hours and found it - as good as new.

The discovery was all the more poignant because she received the ring back just two weeks after her father died.

Carys was given it by her parents on her 16th birthday.

But while she attended Sunday school at the chapel she took the ring off her finger, only for it to slip through the floorboards.

Carys, whose twin sons Dylan and Iwan are now 17, said that the ring brought back so many memories.

"It is on my finger now. I don't think I will ever take it off again," she said.

"The workman said that he was delighted that he had found it and had put it on his own finger in case it got lost again!"

-Nova