No two couples are the same, and everyone is free to arrange their finances as they see fit. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for people to disagree with their partners about money - or over how they should split costs.

One woman was left baffled after her boyfriend charged her £2.62 for eating breakfast at his mum's house. The two lovebirds dated for three years, and in that time she says she only met his family once as they lived in a different city. However, the one occasion they did meet was quite memorable.

The pair went to spend a couple of days with the boyfriend's mum, and keen to be a good guest, the girlfriend went all out.

She prepared a gift basket in advance, and together with her partner, she treated their host to an expensive meal out one evening. But her boyfriend still thought she needed to pay her way, as she found out when she received an invoice for her breakfast after the trip. As @maddyblythe recounted in a TikTok, he expected her to pay £2.62 ($3.23) for a banana and toast she ate.

Maddy explained: "Of course, like the good guest that I am, I brought a little gift basket. I brought some wine, brought some nice soaps, candles, whatnot because I was going to be staying at his mum's house for a couple of days.

"The trip was fine. We mostly did our own thing but we did eat with the mum for dinner one night and for breakfast one morning." She added: "Me and my boyfriend ended up paying for that dinner because it was a little bit expensive and we wanted to treat his mum."

While Maddy likely thought nothing more of the breakfast, it is clear her boyfriend did. "A few days later I get an email from my boyfriend that had an Excel document in it. The Excel doc was all of our shared expenses from the trip, which was fine that's how we normally did things.

"But I did notice there was one line on the Excel document that I was kind of confused about, and the line just said breakfast for $3.23 (£2.62)."

When she asked, "he looks at me deadpan and goes that's for the banana and piece of toast you ate at my mum's. He's like, yea you ate that, so you owe me and my mum money." Baffled, Maddy paid the money, but it doesn't sound like she was too impressed about the charge, as she captioned her video: "The audacity."

Equally confused were the thousands of commenters who responded to the video, which racked up over 90,000 likes.

One viewer wrote "I would buy a stranger a banana… goodbye" while a second said "Food at parents house is free. Period."

Another asked: "How did you not break up with him on the spot?" and someone else thought: "That is madness.. With that $3.23 you could have gotten your own loaf and a bunch of bananas."

Maddy replied: "I asked how he calculated it and he said 'it just seemed fair'".

mirror.co.uk