Burt Bacharach, the legendary composer of hits such as Say a Little Prayer and Walk on By, has died at the age of 94.

According to a statement given to the Associated Press by his publicist Tina Brausman, Bacharach died on Wednesday at his home in Los Angeles of natural causes.

On his official Instagram page “Team Bacharach,” marked his passing saying: “It is with saddened hearts that we share the passing of our father, husband and friend”.

“He gave the world so much, and we are eternally grateful. The music is always there, so please keep listening.”

Born in 1928 in Kansas City, Missouri, Bacharach won six Grammys and three Oscars and recorded 73 top 40 hits in the US and 52 in the UK.

He was considered a genius in the creation of pop and easy listening music.

Seen as one of the 20th century’s most important composers of popular music, his songs included Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head, What the World Needs Now, The Look of Love, (They Long to be) Close to You and Magic Moments.

With writing partner Hal David, Bacharach teamed up with Dionne Warwick to write some of the star’s biggest hits including Do You Know The Way to San Jose? and I’ll Never Fall in Love Again.

In a statement to the Los Angeles Times, Warwick said Bacharach’s death was like “losing a family member”.

“These words I’ve been asked to write are being written with sadness over the loss of my dear friend and my musical partner.”

It is with saddened hearts that we share the passing of our father, husband and friend. He gave the world so much, and we are eternally grateful. The music is always there, so please keep listening. We send our love from team Bacharach, because that’s what friends are for.

Bacharach also wrote for Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, The Carpenters and Tom Jones among others. While the likes of Elvis Presley, the Beatles and Frank Sinatra covered his songs and he worked with Barbra Streisand, Neil Diamond, Natalie Cole, Carly Simon, Elvis Costello and many others.

He wrote the movie soundtracks for What’s New, Pussycat? Alfieand Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, the latter of which won him his first Oscar in 1970.

In 1982 he won an Oscar for the song Best That You Can Do – which features the memorable line, “When you get caught between the moon and New York City, the best that you can do is fall in love,” – from the film Arthur.

In 2012, he and Hal David were presented with the Gershwin Prize by then president Barack Obama.

Tributes have flowed in for the songwriter.

Band Simply Red simply said on Twitter “Farewell genius... RIP”.

Charlatans’ lead singer Tim Burgess said Bacharach had, “one of the greatest songwriting legacies in the history of ever”.

The Beach Boys’ Brain Wilson said he was “sad” to her of Bacharach’s passing.

“Burt was a hero of mine and very influential on my work. He was a giant in the music business.”

Bacharach left Missouri early in his life and grew up in Queens, New York City, where he showed an interest in jazz. He studied music in Montreal and California. While in the army he would play piano for other officers when stationed in Germany.

After he left the army, Bacharach began his musical career in earnest working as a pianist and conductor.

In the late 1950s he began working with Marlene Dietrich helping the singer and actor with her nightclub shows.

It was then he began writing his own material with his connection with Dietrich helping him to get noticed.

Bacharach married four times. His final marriage was in 1993 to Jane Hansen. The couple had two children Olivier and Raleigh. He also had a daughter, Nikki, from a previous marriage.

news.com.au