Game of Thrones fans who can't wait to return to Westeros for Season 2 of House of the Dragon will potentially have to wait until 2024 to see the story of House Targaryen continue.

As reported by Variety, HBO and HBO Max CEO Casey Bloys called House of the Dragon returning sometime in 2024 "a good guess." Furthermore, he may have narrowed down that release window a bit by saying it wouldn't be around for the 2024 Emmy season, which ends its eligibility period on May 31, 2024.

So, if all goes according to what seems to be Bloys and HBO's plan, Season 2 of House of the Dragon will be released, at the earliest, in Summer 2024 or right before.
'You never know what's going to work'

Speaking of the future, Bloys also talked about other Game of Thrones spin-offs that could potentially help with the long gaps between seasons. For HBO, it isn't about quantity, but rather the quality of what it puts out into the world.

“Remember to get House of the Dragon following up from Game of Thrones, we developed a lot of shows, shot a pilot, developed a bunch of scripts and we got House of the Dragon,” Bloys said. “To do that again is going to take the same amount of effort. You have to develop a lot of things, try things. You never know what’s going to work. So we’re currently doing that. I’m not opposed to any number of shows. There’s probably a natural limit to how many fans want, but I’m open to any as long as we feel really good about the scripts and the prospects for a series.”

Bloys then left Westeros and discussed HBO's philosophy on spin-offs and continuing limited series if they do exceptionally. To give an example, he shared why Succession wouldn't be as ideal for a spin-off as Game of Thrones.

“I don’t think so,” Bloys said of Succession getting a spin-off if this upcoming season were its last. “I always say ‘never say never.’ When we started talking about doing a Thrones prequel that was something that HBO had historically never done. I had some people internally saying, ‘This is crazy. What are you doing?’ That said, I think that there’s something about the universe that George created that lent itself to [spin-offs]. There’s a huge history, a lot of different families, a lot of different wars and battles.

"It doesn’t seem to me that there’s something in Succession where you would go, ‘Let’s follow just this kid’ or whatever. It doesn’t seem like a natural thing to me. But if [creator Jesse Armstrong] said I want to do this, then I would follow Jesse’s lead.”

Bloys said the same thing about Watchmen, Six Feet Under, and True Blood, with the latter two being "never really in the works" and one where scripts never "felt like it got there," respectively.

ign.com