AEW President Tony Khan finds it "very encouraging" that Mercedes Mone is open to the prospect of appearing at the upcoming AEWxNJPW: Forbidden 2 pay-per-view.

Over the weekends, Mone appeared at Planet Comic Con event from Kansas City, Missouri. During a Q&A panel hosted by AEW personality Leva Bates, Mone was asked about appearing at the upcoming PPV.

As the reigning IWGP Women's Champion, a match against one of AEW's top female competitors would be a huge selling point for this inter-promotional event. Mone sounded interested, and said she's "gotta get that phone call" to make it happen.

“Ooh, when is it (AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door)? Is it June? June or July? Okay. What day? I don’t know when the show is. Anybody know the date? I don’t know, we gotta see then. June’s so far. I think I could be open, July might be open but, gotta get that phone call. Gotta get that phone call from unc.”

Khan spoke with Adrian Hernandez for Las Vegas radio station 98.5 The Bet and was asked about Mone's comments. He said he greatly respects Mercedes Mone and considers her one of the greatest in-ring performers in the world.

"It's a very encouraging thing to hear," Khan told Hernandez. "I have so much respect for Mercedes. I think she's such a great pro wrestler, and certainly, she's one of the best in the world...

Certainly, the shadow of Mercedes is looming large in New Japan Pro-Wrestling right now, and when AEW and New Japan clash at Forbidden Door, it'll be very interesting to see what happens. And certainly, she's one of their top stars in New Japan, so it makes for a very interesting situation going into Forbidden Door."

AEW x NJPW: Forbidden Door 2 takes place Sumday, June 25th from the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Forbidden Door tickets went on sale this week and they're moving fast. According to Wrestletix, the event is nearly sold out, based on the first batch of tickets that were made available. The venue holds approximately 13,000-16,000 fans for wrestling shows, based on the production setup.