Cody Rhodes isn't ashamed of his mixed run with All Elite Wrestling being brought up during this week's episode on Monday Night Raw.

Throughout Rhodes' run with AEW, the American Nightmare was met with a hostile response from fans, who found his babyface antics too 'try-hard.'

Despite fans wanting to see Rhodes turn heel, that never happened before his departure from AEW in February of last year.

During this week's Raw, Cody came face to face with his opponent at WrestleMania 39: Undisputed WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns.

Reigns didn't shy away from Rhodes' past, saying that Cody ran away from WWE because he didn't want to continue with the Stardust character.

The Tribal Chief also referenced AEW (albeit not by name) saying that Cody "started a company and a promotion that you couldn't get over in."

Cody Rhodes' tenure with All Elite Wrestling did not go as he hoped, but the American Nightmare isn't ashamed of that.

Speaking to Wrestle Joy about the reference, the American Nightmare said that he is pleased that his AEW run was brought up.

"I love that Roman brought it up in terms of running. I have to own it. I did meet adversity and I did not say, you know what, I’m gonna put my feet in the sand and stay. I didn’t put my flag here. I’m not gonna get back to the campus. I’m gonna find a different campus. I hate the expression ‘trust the process’ with all my life. Why not create the process? Why do I have to trust the process? I’d rather create the process. Roman isn’t wrong that the business stung me, and I had to move away from where I got stung. I couldn’t just continue to get stung."

Cody Rhodes will challenge Roman Reigns for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship at WrestleMania: Sunday.

The match will be Rhodes' first time headlining a WrestleMania and the seventh for Reigns (now 937 days into his reign.)