James Gunn has confirmed that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 has a runtime of around two and a half hours, but promised that "not a second is wasted" despite it being the trilogy's longest film.

After a fan asked Gunn on Twitter whether the movie would have a runtime of two hours and 29 minutes as rumoured, the director replied: “It’s around that long, although that’s not yet exact. And, I promise, not a second is wasted.”

He continued: “There’s no fat. It was necessary to experience the full arc for every major Guardians character, not only for this film, but for the trilogy (or, I should say, trilogy plus).”

It’s around that long, although that’s not yet exact. And, I promise, not a second is wasted. There’s no fat. It was necessary to experience the full arc for every major Guardians character, not only for this film, but for the trilogy (or, I should say, trilogy plus). https://t.co/HwqXOtzesm
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) March 26, 2023

Gunn explained in a subsequent tweet that his reference to “trilogy plus” alluded to the cast’s appearance in the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame, rather than a future Guardians Vol. 4 movie.

The two hour 29 minute figure wasn’t “yet exact” because the length of the credits was estimated in that runtime. If the estimate proves to be accurate, it would make Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 significantly longer than the first and second movies, which ran for two hours and two minutes and two hours and 17 minutes respectively.

Guardians 3 is set to release on May 5 2023, and will see Peter Quill lead his band of misfits on a mission to defend the universe (again) as they cope with the loss of Gamora and grapple with the traumas of Rocket’s past.

It'll presumably be the director's last outing as a Marvel director, as Gunn has been busy reshaping the DC cinematic universe with Co-CEO James Saffran. Earlier this year the duo unveiled the first wave of movies in the new DCU, which has been dubbed Chapter One: Gods and Monsters.

The lineup includes Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Superman: Legacy, and a new Swamp Man movie.

ign.com