Following a hard-fought victory at Sunday's IMPACT Rebellion PPV, Tommy Dreamer has announced he's stepping away from active competition.

At Rebellion, Dreamer recruited four of IMPACT's toughest stars to battle alongside him in a Hardcore War. As such, Dreamer teamed with Bhupinder Gujjar, Frankie Kazarian, Yuya Uemura, and Killer Kelly to duel Bully Ray's assembly of Moose, Kenny King, Brian Myers, and Masha Slamovich. The match itself featured a collection of weapons, including trash can lids, tables, chairs, and a staple gun.

In the end, it was Tommy Dreamer who scored the winning pinfall for his team after sending Bully Ray crashing through a table. After their victory, though, Dreamer admitted he needed to take a step back from in-ring competition.

Before Team Dreamer headed into Hardcore War, Dreamer mentioned that preceding week had been especially tough on him, as his mother had been admitted to the hospital after sustaining a brain bleed.

In light of that, Dreamer still decided to fulfill his commitments with IMPACT this weekend, but now, he'll take some time away to take care of himself.

IMPACT Wrestling shared Dreamer's emotional parting words to Twitter.

"I’ve known Frankie Kazarian since the original ECW, when he was just starting training. He came up with Killer Kowalski, and he got in the ring, and years later we joke about it, where he was like, 'This was the greatest experience and the scariest experience in my life.' Tonight was a pure example of what I love about professional wrestling. It’s an escape. It’s an escape for me. There’s no other place I wanted to be than the middle of that ring tonight. I have received so much love from the professional wrestling community. I just gotta say thank you."

"I’m gonna go away for a while because mentally, I’m not here, and I gotta get better. Somebody else needs my love. Yuya, Bhupinder, Killer Kelly, Frankie, I wish the world always sees through my eyes. When I walk out there, I see a whole mass of people from different countries, races, creeds, all showing their love for one thing, and that’s professional wrestling. It’s a beautiful world that I’ve lived in, and it’s gonna be the hardest one that I have to leave. But again, for tonight, I just want to say thank you for everything you’ve ever done for me. I have literally wrestled in front of billions of people. Thank you for today. Thank you for everything. I love you guys."