Cody Rhodes' return to WWE at WrestleMania 38 nearly went ahead without the use of his popular theme 'Kingdom.'

The American Nightmare has been on a roll since returning to WWE, one that not even a torn pec or losing to Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 39 can derail. Part of Rhodes' popularity has come from his theme 'Kingdom' which fans sing along to with each appearance. The 'WOAH' part of the theme has proven to be especially popular with audiences.

'Kingdom' is the creation of the band Downstait, which has produced theme songs for The Miz as well as Matt Cardona during the latter's days as Zack Ryder. 'Kingdom' was also the theme Rhodes used on the independent scene after leaving WWE in 2016, and notably for his three years in AEW.

On the latest episode of Chris Van Vliet's Insight podcast, Downstait's lead singer Zack Call revealed how close Cody got to returning without the song.

"We were aware that Kingdom was coming and we were in a little bit of a legal battle and Cody Rhodes is absolutely the f*cking man. We were on the phone with lawyers and agents and WWE’s lawyers and composers before, and we have been with them since 2009. And we all have regular jobs. And we just wanted our cut of the pie on this one.

"It was pretty close to it (Rhodes having another theme for his return). And then Cody, we held our silence for a little bit and I’d said my piece and I’m — my heart is in my throat and not ready to give up the song. You know, I’ve worked so hard on the song, we worked so hard on the song. And Cody just basically breaks the silence and he goes, ‘Well, you don’t get me without Kingdom’ on this conference call [to WWE.] All right!"

Call repeatedly praised Rhodes for his honesty and openness when working with them. The three-time former AEW TNT Champion will face Brock Lesnar this weekend at WWE Night of Champions.