Matt Riddle was released in September 2023 after he simply burned too many chances with management. His firing was connected to dozens of backstage incidents, and controversies. The final straw came after he had an inebriated escapade at JFK airport that was impossible to ignore.

Matt Riddle is a top free agent, but he hasn't inked a deal anywhere yet. That being said, it wasn't for lack of interest, because his name could draw fans from all over.

While speaking to Sunday Night's Main Event, Matt Riddle mentioned his involvement with several promotions such as TNA, New Japan, and MLW, expressing a preference for pay-per-view events over live TV due to their challenges. While he acknowledged enjoying the pressure, Riddle welcomed a respite from the demanding schedule and frequent script alterations on shows like Monday Night RAW.

After departing from WWE, Matt Riddle expressed that the constant television work, coupled with the demanding travel schedule, became stressful. Despite the lucrative pay and valuable experience, he now desires a hiatus from television commitments. During and after the 90-day period following his departure, Riddle plans to arrange some upcoming dates.

”I talked to some places. I’ve talked to TNA, I’ve worked with New Japan and MLW. You do film for TV, but it’s not the same as Monday Night Raw, three hours live, anything can happen, people are changing the script. You have ten minutes for your match, now you have five minutes. It’s extremely stressful. I like the pressure, but at the same time, I kind of wanted a little break from all that. I’m choosing places more pay-per-view based where I don’t have to worry about going to commercial so we can get that Fritos advertisement.”

Matt Riddle is also slated to face RVD in an epic first-time ever encounter. On Saturday, March 9th, 2024, "The Reunion 3: Cavalcade of Legends" Super Show will take place in Chillicothe, Ohio, at the OU-Shoemaker Center, and those two icons of 420 inspired wrestling will clash for the first time.

Riddle is also scheduled to compete against Hiroshi Tanahashi for the NJPW World Television Championship at the upcoming New Beginning in Sapporo event on February 23rd. It will be interesting to see how he performs in the match.