Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

RVD: I'm speaking to both sides

ROB VAN DAM has laid out the "diva" demands that WWE or TNA will need to fulfil if they want his services.

As he gets set to make his British return tonight for One Pro Wrestling at the Doncaster Dome, the ECW legend has admitted a full grappling comeback is a possibility.

In the second part of his exclusive interview with SunSport, RVD told us he would work for one of the big two promotions but only if they meet his terms of a relaxed schedule, big money and more creative freedom.

Rob also admits he stopped being a wrestling fan in 2001, when ECW folded, and has a sly dig at the way old rival Triple H goes about business.

Rob, we earlier spoken at length about your frustrations with Vince McMahon's new vision for ECW. Was that why you decided to leave the WWE in June 2007?

That frustration, where I didn't even want to represent this new ECW, certainly led to me not enjoying being there any more.

I was burnt out on every level — mind, spirit and body.

Although physically I was still managing to hold up, I was so tired. They had me on the road so much and I was not enjoying my job. It felt so routine and I was starting to really hate the travel and resent that I was never home.

Also my contract promised me a month off, which I never got and really resented.

I had a couple of really long talks with Vince, both about the direction he was driving ECW in and about the fact I never had a break.

The result of one of those meetings was Vince turned to the office and said: "Rob should be getting time off."

I got one Saturday night off three months later!

Towards the end there they were double booking me — working afternoon and night time shows.

So when my contract was up, I had an exit.

I didn't quit, I finished my job and said: "I'm done. Thank you for the opportunity. I'll come back when, and if, I feel the desire."

So far it's been two and a half years and I'm nowhere near ready to go back to full-time wrestling.

So what have you been doing in the last two and a half years?

I've done my own reality show RVD TV — which you can watch at robvandam.com. We have over 100 episodes which are each 20-30 minutes long.

That has captured a lot of what I've been up to, including wrestling highlights and making a movie called Wrong Side Of Town with Batista.

It used to be membership based but now it's absolutely free.

But what I really like doing is staying home. I love California, I love being with my wife and my house has everything I need in it.

I hardly ever leave home.

What about wrestling — how active are you? I've seen you on indie shows and you've got this date in Doncaster.

Yes, I am still wrestling.

When I left WWE, I didn't care if I ever stepped foot in a ring again or got on another airplane.

About six or seven months later I got enticed to go to Portugal and wrestle.

That set my new standards and since then I've been wrestling for a very expensive fee, they have to fly my wife and myself business class and they have to meet my diva standards.

I also only wrestle internationally, other than one small domestic show I did as a favour to Booker T.

I'm not looking for bookings, I'm trying to stay home, but these good opportunities come through and entice me.

So I end up wrestling a few times a year. I think I've had about 35 matches this year.

I am really looking forward to the 1PW show at the Doncaster Dome. England is one of my favourite places to go and the fans are always very passionate.

The big question I know every RVD fan wants an answer to is this — will you ever go back and wrestle for WWE or TNA?

It's possible. Never say never.

I have been in communication with TNA recently. They did a PPV in Los Angeles and I went down and met them. I've talked to them over the phone since then.

I've also spoken to the other side, who don't seem to want me to talk to TNA!

But it's interesting times right now. I'm not looking for a position, but the business is trying to create a position for me.

I'm sitting here in the Vam Dam Dojo — my house of peace — and loving life.

Being on the road, dealing with the stress of all those egos and attitudes and people trying to take control of my image, is not very peaceful.

There's no way I'd come back on a full-time schedule, but if someone bends to meet my terms then it's possible just the right doorway may open and it may be a smart one for me to go through.

Both companies have their advantages.

TNA wrestle pretty much only in Florida, where my mum and dad live and is easy on the travel. Plus I'd be able to promote all my personal projects...very blatantly probably.

But in WWE, just because there is so much more exposure and prestige involved, it probably makes up for a lot of what would be advantageous in TNA.

Nobody ever considers that WWE would offer the same schedule as TNA do, but let's see if they want RVD badly enough.

Anything could happen.

I speak to a lot of people in TNA and the one thing everyone wants to see, from the workers to the office to the fans, is Rob Van Dam v AJ Styles. Is that something you want too?

I can tell you this — I don't sit at home and fantasise about matches with AJ Styles.

I am a professional when I get in the ring.

But as far as personal matches that go through my mind, and working with this guy or that guy, I don't give a f*** about that.

I know this is just an old school ECW fan dreaming, but what about if Paul Heyman gave you a call and said he wanted to do it all over again with a new federation? Would you come back for that — even if the travel and money weren't perfect?

I do talk to Paul a lot and we do chat about hypothetical situations and what's going on in our minds.

I will always be a soldier for Paul and always have interest in hearing anything that he's got to say.

If he asked me to do him a favour then of course I would.

But Paul also knows, if he wants to take me away from home, then just like the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase everybody has their price.

If the original ECW had never folded and was still being run by Paul, do you think you'd be wrestling full time still today?

If the climb that we were on with ECW continued, with that enthusiasm and reward, then I would surf that uphill ride, I'm sure.

That would probably mean I was the champion and very well compensated. If I was the John Cena style poster boy and getting paid big money, but keeping my artistic freedom, I'd be a happy man.

Ultimately it is all about business for me.

I'm able to admit that quicker than most wrestlers, because I stopped being a fan around 2001.

You've made two appearances for WWE since you left. What were they all about? Was it a big pay day or you just wanting to give something back to the fans?

I did the Raw 15th anniversary show and also came back for the 2009 Royal Rumble as they were both win/win situations for me.

They were not so much about the single pay off, but more wanting to let WWE know that I'm doing fine without them financially — which I'm sure bothers them as they'd like me to be hungrier than I am.

I got to come in, produce at a top level, rock the whole industry and then walk out, shake hands and say "I'm going back home".

They asked: "Rob, are you ready to come back? Do you think you'll be ready by WrestleMania?"

I said: "No, not ready!"

To keep my value up in this way — or as the business falls down, actually raise my value — is good for me, good for the fans and good for the business.

What sort of shape are you in now? If you did return could you still perform like you did in those classic ECW matches with Sabu and Jerry Lynn?

What's important to me is that if I do make a comeback then it's got to have one hell of an impact on the wrestling business.

I've got my own gym I work out in almost every day with stretches, lifting and bags.

On the indies I've been wrestling 20-25 minutes and it's very much like ECW. I've been wrestling Sabu and Kid Kash and fighting through the crowd with chairs. I still do the moonsaults and flips to the ground.

I don't hold back and I don't want to slow down in front of people. I give the fans what they expect.

When it's time to go, it's time to go.

I'm the real deal. I'm not playing a character — I am Rob Van Dam all the way.

Finally Rob, the one thing that strongly comes across in the second part of this chat is you'd still be happy if you never wrestled again. What do you think it is that sets you apart from other ex-wrestlers who still live for that one last run?

I do admire that passion and that heart — the guys who will keep on wrestling until no one will book them any more and then hope to land a job as an agent or teaching at a wrestling school.

The No1 rule in any wrestling locker room that you don't want to break is to admit that someone loves the business more than you.

It's ridiculous. It's like high school.

You hear the wrestlers saying: "I love this business more than anybody else. Nobody loves this business more than I do."

That's the attitude we're supposed to always keep, that's what is pounded into us when we're at wrestling school.

But I've always been able to admit that these guys who will screw other people over, end other people's careers and relationships, cheat on their own relationships and secure themselves in through wedlock — people who will do things like that to advance their career — love the business way more than me.

I've always thought I could walk away if there was something else.

Maybe I would miss it, I do always enjoy being out in the ring and showing off.

But I would just have to find another outlet.

I'm a very happy and balanced man right now.

SunSport

thanks for this Ryan
    EYES OF THE INSANE

hope he comes back but by reading that it doesnt look like that is going to happen, thanks for this

gfx credit: Role Model

"The best in the world" Andre Jones
    Triple Crown Winner
    2x LOW Heavyweight Champion
    2x Mr. Money in the Bank
    2013 Superstar of the Year
    1X Universal Champion
    1X LOW Tag Team Champion
    42-18-2 1-NC

Ashley Lane
    1X Women's Champion
    6-4-1

Starring At Alexa's Ass A Blissful Ass's Avatar

Good read thanks Ryan

The Eating Machine! Kenpachi Zaraki's Avatar

He's been running his mouth over the entire year. He ain't coming back to wrestling

If Kenpachi used his Bankai, Armageddon, Ragnarok, and every other form of the apocalypse would march from the depths of hell with their demonic legions of death.... then take one look at him and turn tail and run.

Ring Crew

i wish he'd come back.... but doesnt seem like he will..

Travicity

As soon as he went to wwf he got an attitude an ego and it seems he's only doing it for the money now. Yea he had an ego in ecw but he was great then I don't like the new rvd.

(< . . o . . PowerPill! Smartmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bergkamp is God View Post
    He's been running his mouth over the entire year. He ain't coming back to wrestling
    I guess you don't watch Indy-Wrestling then. Cause he are gonna wrestle at PWG's biggest show ever!!!