Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas could return to action within the fortnight.

The Spanish international midfielder hurt his hamstring after coming on as a substitute and scoring twice in Sunday's 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

"It looks like he will be out for 10 days," said Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger ahead of the game against Portsmouth.
Fabregas could return for the league match against Everton on 9 January, while England winger Theo Walcott is also set for a short spell out.

"Let's say the only question mark we have is does Cesc make Everton or not on 9 January," Wenger added.
"Walcott is a ripped muscle in his side and about the same, 10 to 12 days."

Fabregas injured himself after sprinting to get on the end of a Walcott pass as he extended Arsenal's lead against Villa, before Abou Diaby completed the win with a late strike.

It meant the Spaniard was only on the pitch for 27 minutes but his cameo was key to Arsenal's victory.
"I feel that I did the right thing, and would do it again," said Wenger after the Villa win.

"I put him on the bench and I knew before the game that if it was really needed, I would put him on.
"Had we been 1-0 up I would not have done it, but at the end of the day you do what you think will win the game."

BBC SPORT