Welcome to Universe of Wrestling Forums! Established in 2006!

We hope you enjoy your visits.

To get the full benefits of UOW, please register. It is quick and easy.

Benefits include:
- You can do a lot more on forums than social media sites. - Member only forums.
- Friendly members and staff.
- You lose this welcome at the top of the screen every page.
- A chatbox where you can chat in real time about wrestling or anything else.

A lot more to come as UOW is changing this year.

Click here to register!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling Fake?

Default Wrestling Fake?

"Wrestling, it's fake and stupid!"

That's about what you'll hear from most people that aren't wrestling fans themselves. Bring up the subject that you watch wrestling, and it won't be long before the subject of wrestling being "fake" comes up.

My most common response to this is, "So?" in which case the accuser has, on numerous occasions, resorted to saying "So it's stupid!"

So even if wrestling is fake, and it's stupid. Wait a second...aren't sitcoms fake, too? The word sitcom comes from "situation comedy," which means that the characters get into situations, and comedy results from this. Besides, people know that sitcoms aren't real. That's called "entertainment."

How about dramas? You've got shows such as CSI Miami, ER and NYPD Blue. They've all got intricate plot lines that keep you hooked for an hour. They're still fake, but that's ok, because people know that dramas aren't real. That's called "entertainment."

What about the News? It's real and entertaining, right? Tell that to your local newscaster, who has to report on a horrible car accident on Route 19, where 3 adults and 2 children were killed, both children under the age of 5. Their heads crushed and covered in glass. Or when a teenage girl was raped and murdered, her body mutilated and dumped into the river and found days later, the rapist and murderer nowhere to be found. It doesn't get much more real than that, but real is good, isn't it?

It isn't like the term "sports entertainment" refers to the fact that wrestling isn't real. It isn't like wrestling has plotlines or anything. It isn't like the wrestlers get into situations and often times there is a genuine amount of comedy mixed in. I mean, why would wrestlers want to go into a match, knowing that they were going to lose? Kind of like, why would an actor shoot an episode of a television show, knowing their character is going to get killed? Oh, but that's ok, because people know sitcoms and dramas are fake. Wrestling is fake, too, though, and that makes it stupid.

We are constantly mocked and made fun of, simply because our favourite television show isn't real. We can't wear our wrestling shirts or talk about it around non-wrestling fans without getting that famous question, "Why do you watch wrestling, anyway? It's fake...it's stupid." If you pay attention, you'll see that wrestling has every element of every other type of television show there is. It has the suspense of a drama and the suspense of a sport. There's comedy, situational irony and romance. They call wrestling a soap opera for men, even though women make up a good chunk of wrestling fans. So what's the difference between wrestling and every other television show out there?

On the bench!

Wrestling aint fake. Its scripted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Meetz_Evil
    "Wrestling, it's fake and stupid!"

That's about what you'll hear from most people that aren't wrestling fans themselves. Bring up the subject that you watch wrestling, and it won't be long before the subject of wrestling being "fake" comes up.

My most common response to this is, "So?" in which case the accuser has, on numerous occasions, resorted to saying "So it's stupid!"

So even if wrestling is fake, and it's stupid. Wait a second...aren't sitcoms fake, too? The word sitcom comes from "situation comedy," which means that the characters get into situations, and comedy results from this. Besides, people know that sitcoms aren't real. That's called "entertainment."

How about dramas? You've got shows such as CSI Miami, ER and NYPD Blue. They've all got intricate plot lines that keep you hooked for an hour. They're still fake, but that's ok, because people know that dramas aren't real. That's called "entertainment."

What about the News? It's real and entertaining, right? Tell that to your local newscaster, who has to report on a horrible car accident on Route 19, where 3 adults and 2 children were killed, both children under the age of 5. Their heads crushed and covered in glass. Or when a teenage girl was raped and murdered, her body mutilated and dumped into the river and found days later, the rapist and murderer nowhere to be found. It doesn't get much more real than that, but real is good, isn't it?

It isn't like the term "sports entertainment" refers to the fact that wrestling isn't real. It isn't like wrestling has plotlines or anything. It isn't like the wrestlers get into situations and often times there is a genuine amount of comedy mixed in. I mean, why would wrestlers want to go into a match, knowing that they were going to lose? Kind of like, why would an actor shoot an episode of a television show, knowing their character is going to get killed? Oh, but that's ok, because people know sitcoms and dramas are fake. Wrestling is fake, too, though, and that makes it stupid.

We are constantly mocked and made fun of, simply because our favourite television show isn't real. We can't wear our wrestling shirts or talk about it around non-wrestling fans without getting that famous question, "Why do you watch wrestling, anyway? It's fake...it's stupid." If you pay attention, you'll see that wrestling has every element of every other type of television show there is. It has the suspense of a drama and the suspense of a sport. There's comedy, situational irony and romance. They call wrestling a soap opera for men, even though women make up a good chunk of wrestling fans. So what's the difference between wrestling and every other television show out there?
    Who exactly are you trying to convince? This is a pro wrestling discussion forum where wrestling fans come to discuss wrestling. We're not making fun of ourselves. I haven't personally experienced any apathetic treatment due to the fact that I like wrestling, and if I ever did, it wouldn't bother me that much. I am constantly commenting on how 95% of the shit that is on American television is a waste of electricity to even film. It's almost as if we are getting dumber as a country. So, in the case that someone made fun of me for watching wrestling, I'd simply ask them what they like to watch on TV. Chances are that their answer will be something a thousand times dumber than pro wrestling. It isn't hard to find fault in all of these retarded "Reality" TV shows, sitcoms, hospital dramas, or whatever ignorant liberal propaganda Comedy Central decides to subliminally infect our TV screens with.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_spn
    I really hope you're trying to be funny.

Wrestling is scripted.Sometimes things mess up and somebody gets seriuously injured.Now if you want real wrestling,take a look at my man New Jack.....okay bad example.

Click here to listen to my radio show.

George W Bush says his best moment as president was the time he caught a 7.5lb largemouth bass.
    WTF?

Well, whatever anyone wants to say about the fakeness of wrestling, i for one would not like to be on the wrong end of a tombstone for example.

DON'T GIE'A FUCK the madscotsman's Avatar

look all I do when I hear that is tell them to whatch beyond the mat. or make them whatch ECW. then they usually change there minds. failling that I T-bone Tazplex them and slap on the Tazmission lol.

Pass me the jelly bitch! Crisco Bob's Avatar

Wrestling is not all fake, they do take the bumps. But what IS fake is the storylines. But hey, that's what makes us watch it. I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't watch if if they just had a few matches every week that wouldn't result into anything. They would just be wrestling for no reason.

Wrestling is all fake. Sure wrestlers do get injured constantly, but they are not trying to hurt each other. It's the same as a football player or basketball player getting injured.

It's not like the matches are routine or choreographed, but they do have planned out high spots and the finish is always well known by each wrestler and the referee. (Exception: Montreal 1997)

The moves that the wrestlers perform are like illusions. They are done in a way that attempts to make the viewer think they are actually seeing someone get hurt. For instance: In most matches, the most common move is a punch. You may see it executed 40-50 times per match. You obviously can't take 50 clean shots to the face and never lose conciousness. Most people who watch wrestling know things like the punches are fake, but there still seems to be confusion on some high-impact moves. Sure wrestlers to botch moves, but unless they are mentally sick, they are not trying hurt their opponent.
    Last edited by Assassin™; 04-10-2006 at 06:38 PM.

What R U Lookin' at ?!?! Mr Mando's Avatar

it is not fake lolz but its scripted
    **usually the segments**
    matches r real 100%
    --------------------------------------

Leper Messiah

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_spn
    Yeah, that's all it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast